Volume pedal noise

Reaction score
I am having trouble with a number of volume pedals, ranging from el cheapos to Ernie Ball and Boss high quality units. The problem is, I plug the keyboard output into the volume pedal, then volume pedal output to powered speaker. All is good, except as the volume pedal is moved (up or down) there is static noise coming through the speaker. Once it is set and not moved, there is no noise. I thought it was the cheap volume pedal I was using, so I bought a second-hand Ernie Ball unit. Same result. Then I bought a new Boss unit. Same issue. I have searched forums and hear mention of pots that need cleaning, but can this possibly be the issue with so many pedals and even a brand new one? Please help! Thanks.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
My first question is what keyboard are you using? Many keyboards have an expression pedal input, which avoids the need for a volume pedal.

Reaction score
Primarily Roland FP7F, but the same thing happens when I'm at my friend's house using his cheapo keyboard (I think it's a Casio).

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Just checked the specs, and you're stuck with using a volume pedal. While I've had occasional scratchy pedals, it hasn't happened on a bunch of pedals simultaneously. Perhaps someone else has some ideas for you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're stuck using guitarist volume pedals then you were correct in the first place. Noise is generated by dirty pots.

You'd have to open up the pedals and use electrical contact cleaner on the pots to eliminate the noise.

It's possible to see noise even on a "brand new" pot if that pot has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years before being sold.

What makes the problem worse is the low signal levels of line outputs.

It might also help to use a preamp to boost the signal before feeding the pots.

However be careful with your levels as too much gain would blow out the preamp section of your amplifier/monitors.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Since it happens on used and new pedals I would think the issue might be keyboard related. bring the keyboard and pedals to a qualified tech.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ronsin mentioned that the problem also occurs when using the pedal on his friend's Casio.

That would seem to eliminate the keyboard as the problem.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question