volume

ash

Reaction score
Hi i own a Yamaha psr E453 keyboard but the sound of the keys i play is quiet. I have checked the touch response which is set to fixed, but it's when i play a midi file from my usb stick that the volume of the keys goes very quiet. How do i get the volume of the keys higher again? I have set the touch response to Fixed but it's still quiet and the midifile is louder than the keys.

Reaction score
My guess:

The "touch response = fixed" setting makes the _keyboard_ send out MIDI messages with constant MIDI velocity. It's very likely to be MIDI velocity = 127 -- as loud as it can be.

But the "touch response" setting doesn't affect the response of the _sound generator_ to incoming MIDI messages -- like the MIDI file on your USB stick.

You might find a MIDI-file editor, and raise the MIDI velocity of the notes in that MIDI file.

. Charles

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The volume of the keyboard's Main Voice is controlled by the "M.Volume" function. There are also "D.Volume" and "S.Volume" functions for the Dual Voice and Split Voice.

The overall volume of the Song is controlled by the "SongVol" function. The volume of the individual MIDI channels for the Song are set inside the Song and cannot be changed on the keyboard, but "SongVol" adjusts them as a percentage (I think) of their individual volumes-- so setting "SongVol" to 100 would set each channel of the Song to 100% of the volume as specified within the Song file itself; 50 would set it to 50%; 127 would boost it to 127%; etc. If you want to adjust the actual channel volumes as specified within the Song file itself, you'll need to use a MIDI editor on your computer to edit the Channel Volume messages in the file for each channel, then save the changes to the file.

Ask a Question