Want to buy keyboards

Reaction score
Looking at workstation

Hey guys, I'm looking at a workstation from one of the 'big 3". I want something that has good piano sounds, as well as great orchestral/strings/horns/etc(even if I have to buy an expansion card). Waterfall style keys would be nice but not mandatory. 61 or 76 key, good polyphony value(128??). I'll mainly be using it for piano lines and orchestral arrangements to compliment my guitar work, sort of along the lines of Evanescence, New Guns N' Roses, etc. Something that can play violins, trumpets, horns, xylophones etc as well as play them very well. I like the look of the Roland Fantom G6/G7 but have heard Korg are better value for money etc but don't know which would be best for me. Any feedback would be appreciated. Don't really have a determined budget, probably between $2,000US-2,800US but I'm easy about spending a bit more if it's worth it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you had a chance to go to a music shop and have a play/listen? That's a big budget. The buzz right now is around the Korg Kronos (various models) and Roland's Jupiter 80. I'd make sure you play both before buying either.

Post back for cheaper alternatives.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you had a chance to go to a music shop and have a play/listen? That's a big budget. The buzz right now is around the Korg Kronos (various models) and Roland's Jupiter 80. I'd make sure you play both before buying either.

Post back for cheaper alternatives.

I looked at the Jupiter 80, and it retails online for about $3,500US, which is a bit out of my range. The Kronos looks good and is about $600US cheaper. What about products from the previous generation like the Fantom G6?

Reaction score
I only mentioned those because of the big budget.

You mention piano lines and orchestral arrangements. If you mean full orchestra stuff on a budget one way to go is the low end of the computer modelled stuff - if you have a Mac/PC to host them. Have a look/listen to Gary Garritan's stuff:

http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154&Itemid=54

Excellent value. I have other VSTs to cover strings and brass but if I didn't I'd buy this.

East West stuff is very playable but needs an iLok. You don't want to be gigging with anything that requires a tiny USB key - you'll forget it, you'll lose it, you'll bump into it and it'll get damages, someone will realise what it is and pocket it ...

I use East West stuff for strings but I'd never gig with it because of the USB key thing (that's when I do gig with a laptop - not my favourite game).

An older Roland Fantom would do the job and have the advantage that it's gig friendly - computers bring hassles of their own.

For anyone reading this on a really tight budget - IMO - the current cheapest (NEW) option that has recordable/giggable sounds - Casio CTK-6000 (£200-£250)

It has a proper quarter inch mono out - most home keyboards have only stereo headphones out.

BTW who do you think of as the big three?

Reaction score
I only mentioned those because of the big budget.

You mention piano lines and orchestral arrangements. If you mean full orchestra stuff on a budget one way to go is the low end of the computer modelled stuff - if you have a Mac/PC to host them. Have a look/listen to Gary Garritan's stuff:

http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154&Itemid=54

Excellent value. I have other VSTs to cover strings and brass but if I didn't I'd buy this.

East West stuff is very playable but needs an iLok. You don't want to be gigging with anything that requires a tiny USB key - you'll forget it, you'll lose it, you'll bump into it and it'll get damages, someone will realise what it is and pocket it ...

I use East West stuff for strings but I'd never gig with it because of the USB key thing (that's when I do gig with a laptop - not my favourite game).

An older Roland Fantom would do the job and have the advantage that it's gig friendly - computers bring hassles of their own.

For anyone reading this on a really tight budget - IMO - the current cheapest (NEW) option that has recordable/giggable sounds - Casio CTK-6000 (£200-£250)

It has a proper quarter inch mono out - most home keyboards have only stereo headphones out.

BTW who do you think of as the big three?

The Cronos is a fair bit cheaper than the Jupiter 80(although with less keys), so I can stretch it out for the Kronos. Would prefer actual hardware as I find PC/Mac programs interfaces to be too complicated.

Have heard mixed things about the Fantom series, so am looking into the Kronos. The "Big 3" from what I have been told are Roland, Yamaha and Korg, unless I'm mistaken?

Thanks for your in-depth replies too, I appreciate it :)

Ask a Question