Want to buy new keyboard

Reaction score
Hi Musical champs!! Im new user of this forum. Im playing yamaha psr 1500 synthesizer from last two yrs. Now i want purchase new keyboard(synth) with latest features. I want to record song into computer via keyboard and after some change I wnat to save it back to my keyborad. Apart from that i need keyboard which should have good voice banks(like flute piano,string and all..) and enough beats so that i can use it at home as well as on stage. Kindly suggest which keyboard will be good enough.
Thanks alot
an early reply is awaited.

Reaction score
Thanks friend.. well can u pls throw some lite on Motif and mm6/8 which one is better?? and also am i able record songs in keybord by using these models and what will be costs?? and also pls let me know which one is good yamaha or roland??
thanks alot!!

Reaction score
well you'd have to specifiy what type of music you are playing and what sounds are good for you (whether you'd want Roland or Yamaha). Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Nord, Kurzweil are all good keyboard companies for different reasons. And, ultimately at the end of the day you'd want to go to the store and try a bunch of keyboards out to see which one you like.

Reaction score
Thanks friend.. well can u pls throw some lite on Motif and mm6/8 which one is better?? and also am i able record songs in keybord by using these models and what will be costs?? and also pls let me know which one is good yamaha or roland??
thanks alot!!

The Motif (currently the motif XS) is Yamaha's top workstation, and
it costs 3-4 times more then the MM6 :D

If you're not into active giging, or professional music production there is no need for all the features and jingamadingys that the Motif offers.

There's a "lite" version of the Motif called MO6/8 (6 for 61 key version and 8 for 88 hammer action keys).

It has the same sound ROM as the previous motif ES (brilliant sounds), but it lacks the sampler and some minor options, as well as not-so-good keys as the Motif has. But all in all it's a great machine and waaaaaay better then the MM6.

The problem with the MM6 (as i already explained here on the forums) is that it's trying to be a hybrid between Yamaha's arranger keyboards (Like the PSR series you already own), and the bigger, more pro keyboards called workstations.

The final result is that the MM6 has a small piece of workstations, and a small piece of arrangers BUT it's not either of them. So if you find yourself in more need of the arranger part - you can't have it cause it lacks features.

The same goes if you need workstation features like (the basic feature EVERY workstation has since the 80's :D) - splitting the keyboard and layering multiple sounds. You guessed it - can't do it on the MM6.

If you're going to keep your PSR i recommend to go for the mid-range workstations from KORG. That way you get a wide range of sounds.

Now the great thing about Korg in mid-range workstations is that they rock every other brand.

If you're fond of the Triton sounds - buy the korg TR (which comes in 61,76 and 88 hammer action keys). The TR is not quite the Triton (mostly because it has only 1 insert effect while the Triton has 5 which can be irritating but hey... it's 50% of the price hehe).

And if you want "newer" sounds, or just to be a bit up-to-date, you can get the new M50 which is basicaly a stripped version of the M3 (M3 is KORG's top workstation like the Motif XS is with yamaha).

The main difference between these two (apart from the sounds, and effects) is that the TR has sampling option (you can add more sounds, combis etc), while the M50 doesn't so you're stuck with the ones it has on board (which are great), AND it has a huuuuge touch screen :)

I don't know about Roland's mid-range workstations but i think there's the Juno "something" but i don't know a thing about those keyboards so i'll shut my hole :D

Oh yea... one more thing, NONE of the keyboards defined as Workstations have acompaniment styles.

It's Arrangers (styles which you play with your left hand like on PSR series and Tyros, or the PA series on korg) and Workstations that are used for band gigging and music production.

Hope i was helpful :)

Ask a Question