want to buy piano but can't

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a beginner in Piano and I want to buy one. However I don't have enough space in my room to keep it. So I was thinking to buy keyboard but I really don't like light weighted keys of keyboard. But since I have limited space, I had decided to go for keyboard Yamaha E423. but again my thinking goes like back and forth and so to resolution of this, I was thinking what if I buy Piano and place it on study table whenever I want to practice it and put it under by bed when I am not using it.

so my question is, will it harm piano if I do so and if it won't then which digital piano should i go for? i found below
Casio cdp220
Korg 170S (very costly for me)
Casio WK6500 ( looks good on youtube but 76 keys :( )

I hope you guys got my problem. appreciate your valuable suggestion.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been looking at the reviews and drooling over the Casio Privia PX-3 stage piano lately. Street price is only $800 and it's been getting some rave reviews as a stage piano.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX3-Digital-Stage-Piano/dp/B003TZE2N4

Anyway, it's very lightweight and meant to be lugged from gig to gig and if you slide it under your bed it'll be fine as long as you buy a dust cover for it to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

I buy my dust covers from these guys, custom made for about $20 a pop.

https://lecover.com/

They're a mom and pop operation run by a guy named Larry. Everytime I need a dust cover I call him up, tell him my keyboard's dimensions and he custom makes one up to order :)

Hope this helps,
Gary

Reaction score
@happyray1. thanks for your suggestion. but will the daily routine of pulling it from under bed and vice versa make any harm to piano?
also my music teacher suggested me to buy Yamaha since it has good sound quality. I don't think so, since every musical instrument is made from same plastic and woods and I don't believe company would make any sort of different in sound. Am i correct or my music teacher is making some sense here?

thank again

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually it may be wiser to buy a soft gig bag for the keyboard if it's being stored away on a daily basis. Ideally though, putting it on an X stand and leaving it sit is the best thing you could do for it. As for wear and tear, pros set up and tear down their rigs on a nightly basis before and after every gig. Truth is, the more you move anything around the sooner it will break, but if you take appropriate care and don't use it to hammer any nails it should stand up for at least a few years before it needs repair or replacement.

As for your piano teacher, everyone has their own biases about hardware and name brands. The smartest thing you should do is make a tour of all your city's music stores and audition each model you are considering. Ultimately you are the only one who has to live with your decision and only you can judge what sounds acceptable and what does not.

As far as differing sounds between brands go, a lot depends on what electronics are stuffed into the box to make the sound. How much ROM is used for samples and what speed CPUs and DSPs are used as well as the sampling algorithms used to emulate the sounds in an instrument. Also there are bells and whistles like sequencers and audio effects to consider, and finally what sort of amp and speakers you pound it all thru. Personally I have no great love for anything with built in speakers. To my mind, the quality of the output sound is directly proportional to what sort of amp and speakers you pump it thru.

Personally I use a small mixing board and a couple of M-Audio studio monitors for my home studio.

Studying specs on the web and videos on youtube can give you a good idea of what's available, but ultimately you have to go out there and feel the keyboard under your fingers and listen to its sound thru a decent amp before you make your decision.

Like I said, the PX-3's been getting rave reviews on the web, both for build quality of the keyboard and light weight as well as notable sound quality. It also supposedly sells for about 50% less than anything comparable by Yamaha or Korg. At the very least you owe it to yourself to go try one out.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 ;)

Regards,
Gary

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a beginner in Piano and I want to buy one. However I don't have enough space in my room to keep it. So I was thinking to buy keyboard but I really don't like light weighted keys of keyboard. But since I have limited space, I had decided to go for keyboard Yamaha E423. but again my thinking goes like back and forth and so to resolution of this, I was thinking what if I buy Piano and place it on study table whenever I want to practice it and put it under by bed when I am not using it.

so my question is, will it harm piano if I do so and if it won't then which digital piano should i go for? i found below
Casio cdp220
Korg 170S (very costly for me)
Casio WK6500 ( looks good on youtube but 76 keys :( )

I hope you guys got my problem. appreciate your valuable suggestion.

I suggest you do NOT go for Yamaha PSR-Exxx or Casio WK series if you want weighted keys.

HOWEVER - One problem with 88 key digital pianos with weighted action are that they are significantly heavier. Are you ok with lifting 12kg keyboard from under your bed and putting on table every time?

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually another thought on the subject. If the keyboard is never going to leave your bedroom and you want to save a few hundred bucks, consider buying an 88 Key weighted, hammer action MIDI controller and use it with soft synths on your computer. There are some pretty amazing sampled piano sounds on some VST softwares out there and then you'll have something that's obsolescence proof, cheaper, and lighter. Get one with real MIDI ports as well as USB and you'll be able to plug into hardware sound and synth modules from all the big manufacturers. Then you can build your collection of VST sounds and hardware modules a piece at a time.

If I were seriously starting over from scratch these days this is a route I would seriously consider.

Then again the PX-3 can function as a working controller as well with all the necessary hardware built in as well as having 256 GM sounds and Pianos built in as a bonus.

Regards,
Gary

gtm

Reaction score
Hi all, i know this is an old thread, i was wondering with the PX3, it says it doesnt have internal speakers, does that mean you need to get additional speakers to plug in to the keyboard? or only use headsets? thanks for any info

Ask a Question