Web buyers beware of too good deals!

Reaction score
I have been searching the web for a Yamaha Motif XS8. The local price here in Australia is about $5000. I found a web site that promoted Malaysian business and a "company" that would sell me a XS8 for $950US + $50 air freight to Australia, I could not believe my luck. So I contacted this "company" in Malaysia and promptly received a reply. They promised me that if I got a Western Union money order and gave them the MTCN number I would have it in 48 hours. I immediately thought that a keyboard that weighed 26Kg transported from Malaysia to Australia for $50 was a bit rich + a $900+ keyboard for that, me smells a rat!!. Sure enough when I replied and said that I would not send a Western Union moneygram but would only deal in company checks, all emails stopped. Looking back on the saga I cant believe that I could have been sucked in a moment of stupidity. Anyone who wants to know who this dodgy bastard is drop me a line.
Robin (Still looking for a XS8)

Reaction score
Really great that you brought this subject up, since we've been having quite a few "sellers" spamming the forums lately.

I'm always suspicious about buying things from the internet. If I'm going to buy something over the net, I always make sure that I can trust the website to 100%. So if the seller doesn't even have a website (like those spamming our forums) or if it's a website that I've never heard of before, I wouldn't even think of buying from there.

And I would recommend others to do the same, buying a new keyboard is long-time decision (or whatever you should call it :p), and you don't want to be fooled.

So, to be short: DON'T BUY THINGS FROM PEOPLE THAT YOU DON'T TRUST!

Reaction score
I have found zzounds, sweetwater and musician's friend to be among the best online sellers dedicated solely to musical goods.

If you're buying from them, rest assured that your money is in good hands.

Reaction score
I've found the staff at the local Guitar Center stores to be very good to me, so I would hope their online store to be at least as good.

I've also heard praise for B&H Photo Video, at least about the digital photo end of their business.

One source of what should be reputable online dealers in your particular country is to head to the keyboard manufacturer's web site. Many will have links to authorized resellers in your country.

Ask a Question