weighted keys better then non-weighted keys

Reaction score
I have a Non-weighted keyboard and i'm thinking of purchasing a new weighted keyboard. My reason for this is whenever i'm play i sometimes lightly tap a key by mistake and it messes up the flow of the song (Makes it sound off), will this still happen on a weighted piano or will it be less often to make these mistakes?

Reaction score
I also have a non weighted key keyboard and don't have this happen. Maybe work on your hands and build up your song slowly to avoid this problem. I'm not sure the same thing might not happen with a weighted keyboard, it's more a function of what you're doing. As for weighted vs non weighted weighted is closer to a real piano action, I find non weighted to be fine for my playing as I like synth sounds and it works well for that.

Reaction score
What type of music do you play? B3 style organ and/or synth then then on weighted keys are found to be better. But in saying that there are also, "water fall" keyboards! These are a little be better than the lighter plastic ones you can get on some midi keyboards. They are found on high end Arranger and synth 'boards like Korg and Yamaha for example.
On a different note, have you tried placing a thing layer of foam ( about 1cm or 1/4" thick ) along under the key-bed. Using double sided tape, so you can remove it, or change thicknesses. This "stiffens up" the feel of your existing key-bed and may help you out before you lash out with the $$$'s. it also, takes away the "clunk" if you hit the keys too hard. Just a thought...........

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
, have you tried placing a thing layer of foam ( about 1cm or 1/4" thick ) along under the key-bed. Using double sided tape, so you can remove it, or change thicknesses. This "stiffens up" the feel of your existing key-bed and may help you out before you lash out with the $$$'s. it also, takes away the "clunk" if you hit the keys too hard. Just a thought...........
What a brilliant idea!
I have never played weightet keys.
I might try this . . As an experiment.

I always wondered if ever I upgraded, wouId or should I go weighted or not.

-ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Let us know how you go.
I will . . If I ever get a chance:confused:. Sometimes life gets in the way.:mad:.
So many things to do . . Finding it difficult to spend quality time on the keyboard. Grrr!
Tomorrow is Sunday and weather looking bleak. Maybe I can devote an hour or two at the keyboard.
Play it again Sam!

Ask a Question