What amps do you recommend for use with a stage grand piano?

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for recommendations on amps that are best suited for keyboards, particularly weighted-key stage grand pianos where a rich, resonant, beautiful sound is key. I mostly use my keyboard's piano settings, and will continue to do so.

WHAT I HAVE
My Kawai ES-X has built-in speakers which are serviceable. I do have a very tiny portable amp, but am now considering an amp purchase, and would like to know what amps you all are using for piano, and any that you are very excited about. Again, as a serious pianist, my Kawai is used only as a substitute when a real grand piano is not available on site. I love it, and am satisfied with the sound, especially since it's about 12 years old. No reason I can't continue to use it for years.

WHAT I DO
My gigs are usually either me singing, self-accompanied on the piano, or piano background music. For both types of gigs, when I use my portable keyboard, I usually bring my own compact amplification.

WHAT I NEED
As I consider a new keyboard for the future, my first consideration will be how closely it mimics an acoustic grand piano, both with sound and action. So as you can see, sound will be the key factor in whichever amp I select. I really liked the sound and action on a Korg SV1 Vintage Stage Piano. If I invest in an instrument of that quality and price one day, I will want an amp that is worthy of such a fine keyboard.

WHAT I AM CONSIDERING
Right now, I am leaning towards the Fishman Loudbox Mini, based on the recommendation of a long-time salesman here in NYC at Sam Ash, and also based on a demonstration of the Loudbox hooked up with a good keyboard in the store. I really liked what I heard. I know I won't go wrong or make a huge mistake if I buy one in the next couple of weeks, but hey, I'd like to know what else is out there.

So, I have something in mind that will probably be fine, or even exceptional. But before I purchase, I'd like to get the perspective of other pianists who use electric stage grands (or keyboards with those settings) who can direct me to other brands and models I should consider.

Thank you,

Paul

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For a piano I'd also recommend taking a look at the Kurzweil Artis as well as (don't laugh) the Casio Privia PX-5S.

The Casio is reputed to have one of the best actions in the business, is extremely lightweight at under 25 lbs and as a bonus for street performances also is capable of battery operation. It also sells for about half the price of the Kurzweil but boasts some very very good piano samples as well as deep synth capabilities.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul14/articles/casio-privia-px5s.htm

As for an amp, I do own a Behringer K450FX which is pretty reasonably priced and decent sounding and loud enough for your smaller venues. Not battery operated however.

For the most part however, in my home studio I use a combination of M-Audio BX-5A studio monitors and a Mackie MR10Smk3 powered subwoofer which can easily blow out my windows and give every small animal within a hundred meters a cerebral aneurism. Definitely not suitable for road work. Much too bulky and fussy to transport and set up.

The Behringer, however, weighs in about 20 lbs as well and as long as you have an outlet you're good to go for any small club or cafe.

And worth an honorable mention, if you're on a budget you can still find the Kurzweil SP4-8 and SP4-7 still selling around and under a thousand dollars if the Artis is too rich for your blood. The Kurzweils, however, all weigh in around 40 - 50 lbs.

Good luck with your journey to superstardom...

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
For a piano I'd also recommend taking a look at the Kurzweil Artis as well as (don't laugh) the Casio Privia PX-5S.

Good luck with your journey to superstardom...

Gary ;)

I am actually looking at the Privia 350. I rent cars for gigs (and rarely need to haul a piano) so I don't mind if the keyboard is heavier if the sound and features are worth it. IOW, weight is a minor consideration, and my bottom line is sound, action, and features.

Thanks for the ideas; I'll take a look at the other stuff you mentioned.

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

I use a JBL 515XT as an on-stage monitor, plus in rehearsal. It reproduces piano sounds very nicely indeed.

I also note that Gary mentioned the Kurzweil SP4-7 among his possible stage piano recommendations. I use one of these live and can verify it sounds fantastic, really punches above its weight price wise. The only thing that might put you off about it is the action is not fully weighted, it's semi-weighted. I quite like the action, but if you're using it exclusively for pianos it might not fit the bill. On the positive side it's very light to lug around to gigs, and it's cheaper than an SV-1.

I've also played the Kurzweil SP5-8, although I don't own one. That also sounds terrific and has a very nice weighted action.

Cheers,

Paul

Reaction score
Looks interesting; weight is also good. Will check out specs but if it can't handle a] keyboard input; b] voice input; and c] line in, I'm not interested. But I do thank you and will check it out.
The ZXA1 has two inputs, one XLR and one line level input. Here is a mini mixer (I happen to own this model, it works great) that is not much bigger than a cigarette pack. Together with the speaker it should give you what you need.

https://reverb.com/item/278045-roll...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CO_3ndmW5sACFWho7AodjFMAOQ

you can find them used. I bought mine for $28.

Reaction score
I use a Kawai MP7 stage piano along with a pair of active dB Opera speakers. The speakers also work great as monitors in situations where I am working with a full band.

The Kawai has great action and sound and the Opera sound system is one of the best I have tried (keep in mind that I used to own a sound system rental company so I have tried a few)

Ask a Question