What are voices with "PAN" added to their name/description?

Reaction score
My Casiotone (and likely my new Yamaho EZ300) have voices(instruments) with have the PAN keyword after them,
what exactly are these?

Does it have anything to do with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_(audio) ?

Also discovered Casiotone has a "Fifth Seq." which apparently plays 5+ beyond the actual Note played! How exactly does this work;
Natural or Shaps/Flats, how/when would it be used?

New Yamaha EZ300 arriving early this coming week!

So many questions! :-|}

Happy 4th all.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how those voices work on Casio keyboards, but Yamaha's XG voices have a bank that includes "KSP" after the voice names, where "KSP" stands for "Key Scale Panning." To be honest, I'm not sure how those voices are supposed to work, but I think it's essentially an "artificial stereo" sound, created by panning each MIDI note so it sounds like it's coming from a specific direction, or location from left to right. A true stereo sound would be sampled using two microphones, but a monophonic sound can be panned to make it seem as though it were coming from a specific direction. With piano voices, the idea is to simulate the way that the keys going from left to right are causing hammers to hit the strings going from left to right, such that the sound of each note is coming from a slightly different position within the sonic space.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha has a similar feature called "Harmony."

There are several different Harmony Types that behave in different ways, such as playing arpeggios and trills, but one group of Harmony Types adds notes based on the type of chord you play in the Accompaniment area of the keyboard-- the keys to the left of the Split Point.

In other words, you indicate the notes you want to add by playing an appropriate chord to the left of the Split Point-- say, C Major-- and every key you play to the right of the Split Point will have a Major Third and Perfect Fifth added to it.

If you just want to add a Fifth, one of the chord types recognized by Yamaha's auto accompaniment is actually just a Root and a Fifth, so you can play that type of "chord" and the keyboard will understand it.

Reaction score
Thanks. And Amazon Prime actually did deliver my brand new shiny EZ-300 right to my door! It's here. Display is very bright & clear. So much to learn... what have I gotten myself into :-|}

Ask a Question