What are you listening to right now?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wasn't giving any orders. I simply find it offensive when a bunch of preppy white dudes rip off an afro-american classic.

I'd much rather hear the song as its creator intended it to be heard.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
There are many excellent versions of this tune. I would say Herbie Hancock's is not the best.
Mongo Santamaria did an awesome version and so did Sly and the Family Stone and Miles Davis.
I am not going to post them here but they are on spotify and deezer and youtube.
The Manfred Man version is first class and is not a rip off of Herbie Man. I would say MM plays it in honour of HH and does the tune deserved justice.

honour and respect ray:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wasn't giving any orders. I simply find it offensive when a bunch of preppy white dudes rip off an afro-american classic.

I'd much rather hear the song as its creator intended it to be heard.

Gary ;)
You may wish to revisit your knowledge Gary.

The preppy white dudes you refer to are now all in their Seventies.

They are still filling theatres throught the country.

This year deliberately they are touring at very small venues to give the local audiences nearby a chance to see them and hear the great music they play.

By their covers of great songs theyvare introducing audiences of all ages to great music.

In every setlist I have heard and seen they include their versions of Watermelon Man and a superb rendition of Smokestack Lightning and before you berate the latter Paul Jones the lead singer is acknowledged as one of the finest harmonica players there is and his playing on SL is extraordinary, Howlin Wolf is always acknowledged by Paul as one of the finest performers of all time and they are humble in their opinions of themselves.

Paul Jones has had a Radio show on the national BBC Radiofor twenty years, a Blues show where he has personaly introduced new generations to the music of Howling Wolf, BB King, Robert Johnson, Etta James, Muddy Waters etc.

The Band also add another guitarist and tour as the Blues Band where, guess what, all the music is a cover, all the songs are superb.

Try listening to Mike Hugg on the keyboards, he is one of the best there is.

So you may like to give some respect to these preppy dudes for these guys have done more for music than you or I will have in ten lifetimes.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ray, you might be familiar with this slice of Aussie music history?
Absolutely! I have a couple of chain CD's and LP's.
Matt Taylor out front with harmonica and Phil Manning on guitar. What an awesome outfit they were. Saw them live a few times. 70's or 80's thereabouts!
"I Remember when I was Young" became their signature tune.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Wow! Becky you know which buttons to push to excite me!:D
Pomplamoos . . Never heard of them but what a voice. I love her voice.
Of course I know that tune from the Cardigans but that cover is awesome.

Now you've got me scrolling through for other Pomplamoos tunes. I found some too. . . Sandman, Tainted Love, Come Together. . . They are all superb.

That keyboardist is so enthusiastic and bright too. Great outfit.

Many thanks indeed Becky:rolleyes:

Happiness ray.:)

Ask a Question