What are you playing?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I was wondering what tunes you guys might be playing other than originals.

Currently I have got a latin vibe happening and playing "perfidia" "petite fleur" and "spanish eyes" to name a few.

What's the vibe at your place?

Reaction score
G'day Ray,

Today we did No Matter What, Sultans of Swing, Black Magic Woman, Boys are Back In Town, Wishing Well at rehearsal.

Also you asked about Experience Floyd's return to Ballarat. May 7 - bring your mates!

Cheers!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
No matter what = bad finger or boyzone. Both very different.

Thanks fot the heads up on ballarat. I might see if i can round up the troops.

Reaction score
G'day Ray,

Today we did No Matter What, Sultans of Swing, Black Magic Woman, Boys are Back In Town, Wishing Well at rehearsal.

Also you asked about Experience Floyd's return to Ballarat. May 7 - bring your mates!

Cheers!
I love all of those songs. I've never heard another band do Wishing Well. Nice sultans of Swing? Must have a good guitarist.

I've been working on this since Christmas:

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Perfidia, one of the great Glenn Miller songs.

I am currently playing Moonlight Serenade but I am having a little bit of a problem creating the right Combi sound on my Korg Kross.

Its easy on the Arranger, there is already an inbuilt Glenn Miller musical Style.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I also often play "moonlight serenade" It is a beautiful tune. Miller's orchestral combo is unique and very difficult to copy sounding exactly the same. As long as you have a trombone sound in there anyway. The soft parts can sound nice with the oboe sound too. You inspired me to play it again today
Cheers ray

Reaction score
I love all of those songs. I've never heard another band do Wishing Well. Nice sultans of Swing? Must have a good guitarist.
Yeah great tracks. And we definitely have a good guitarist. That's a pretty old post - so since the thread has received a revival, (some of the) songs from last night's rehearsal were Song 2, Get Back, Get It On, Rebel Yell, Black Night. We've got an "Ashes" show coming up where we pit the best of British rock music against some Australian classics.

tumblr_p4ipcfLR0v1ual3guo1_540.jpg

Bohemian is sounding good, well done!

Ray - nice tunes there! I assume that's not you in the second vid...

Reaction score
Thanks for those Ray.

Liked her version of Moonlight Serenade.

Apache is one of my favourites to play on my guitar, she did a good job at it but it is still a keyboard trying to be a guitar, almost but not quite.

I love Hank Marvin’s playing, seen him play live so many times I have lost count. He is the reason I started playing guitar when I was a kid, but there again I am in illustrious company he inspired so many.

Reaction score
Yeah great tracks. And we definitely have a good guitarist. That's a pretty old post - so since the thread has received a revival, (some of the) songs from last night's rehearsal were Song 2, Get Back, Get It On, Rebel Yell, Black Night. We've got an "Ashes" show coming up where we pit the best of British rock music against some Australian classics.

tumblr_p4ipcfLR0v1ual3guo1_540.jpg

Bohemian is sounding good, well done!

Ray - nice tunes there! I assume that's not you in the second vid...
Thank you. Working on Golden Slumbers next. I checked youtube for your band. No vid's?

Reaction score
The usual: playing dance rock to happy drunks for money. We played an ultimate frisbee championship party last week that's always a blast (yearly thing). got to rock my key tar hard that night. Outfitted my main rig with EL Wire lights to look like something outta Tron. I'm hooked. Gonna go to town with light rigging in the future. Probably dress my dumb-ass keytar in EL Tape. Gonna blow a lot of money on this in the future, I can feel it. But hey, "It's Tax deductible!"

Keep working up classic video game tunes with my VGM band. We landed a "90s rock" party, but only under the condition that we learn the Mortal Kombat theme. One of my guitarists got a little butthurt cuz he thinks it's a stupid tune (it is), but ya never turn down a request from the booker! But I talked him into it, he's new to gigging, so he'll learn. We'll have fun with it, I'll cue up all the stupid vocal phrases on my sampler, and do it in a Steven Hawking robot voice, should be hilarious. Probably dance around like a goon with my keytar. I usually stick to my main board for the VGM stuff because it's pretty crazy two-handed prog stuff, but this is stupid dance music. should be fun.

Also just recorded a cover of Pink Floyd "Time" for a guy down in Phoenix. Fun bit of sound design. I had a bunch of Tibetan Bowls sampled for my day job, just laying around. I found that down-tuning them an octave makes for KILLER giant grandfather clock sounds. New appreciation for Richard Wright. He may not be a Wakeman or Lord, but his feel is exquisite. Nabbed me "Lounge Lizard" electric piano plugin in order to dial in the right Wurli. That shit is amazing!

Reaction score
Thank you. Working on Golden Slumbers next. I checked youtube for your band. No vid's?
We don't really have any decent video that we would consider YouTube worthy. The problem with being a working band is if you put up a substandard smartphone video people can get the wrong impression about how good your live show is. All it takes is some crappy sound quality or one of the musos to hit a bum note. We're lucky in that we're able to get gigs via word of mouth repeat business from satisfied pubs.

However here's a couple of nice shots of us in action:

tumblr_p4iykzpg3i1ual3guo1_540.png

tumblr_p4iyevDD231ual3guo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p4iyahcCRb1ual3guo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p4iyfzZRyP1ual3guo1_400.jpg

Reaction score
I play a little classical - although I rarely seem to truly finish learning them. I also play some jazz standards because I'm trying to work on improvising. I like Horace Silver's tunes because they're great and they sound so good in solo piano settings. Here's a little video clip of me playing some renaissance music on the Roland digital harpsichord.

Reaction score

Lol, I think every guy from my working band has more hair then your entire band combined! Muhahaha. We're all schlubs.

Not sure I COMPLETELY agree with the video thing, depending upon the context, btw. Yeah, I would agree that proudly displaying a crappy cell phone video on your site would be bad. However, for social media, we're all for fans posting crappy vids. In some ways, the worse the better. Just means they're drunk and having a good time, and all their friends get that too. Just means we're doing our jobs right. And BOY are they REALLY DRUNK! But usually so are we. It's a good night when the singer isn't blacked out from Jäger bombs by the end of hour 4 (we can do the last 30 minutes without him if need be), but man can that dude sing!

Reaction score
I think every guy from my working band has more hair then your entire band combined!
OK now I'm jealous!

In some ways, the worse the better. Just means they're drunk and having a good time, and all their friends get that too. Just means we're doing our jobs right.
That's a good point - a vid of the crowd having a good time is very helpful. They had to buy that alcohol somewhere!

It's a good night when the singer isn't blacked out from Jäger bombs by the end of hour 4
Horses for courses on that front. That's not really our go.

Ask a Question