What are your other interests?

Reaction score
What do you like to do when you are not playing the keyboard? I'm quite a creative person and I really enjoy photography. See below attachments for some photos I took on my phone recently.

I also used to do a lot of sketching when I was younger, and so I'm trying to make more time for that now.

In the evenings I love to read - I'm currently engrossed in book 2 of A Song of Fire and Ice (ie Game of Thrones etc) which is really good. I can't wait to get the TV series on DVD when it's released.

Finally I am teaching myself acoustic guitar... but that the moment it's on a bit of a backburner. My new years resolution is to practice more!

How about you?

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'm reading the forums (like this one), in reading I am interested in topics like
"the gears and software used for a recording or post recording editing)",
samples, soundfonts,
new keyboards,
listening on youtube keyboard performers, trying to rewrite their styles (if I like the sound) in a midi file, etc.

Reaction score
O/T Was back in Ireland a year or so ago and out with the kids in a forest park in County Down for a walk.

Wandered right into the set for Game Of Thrones. They'd just finished filming - Sean Bean had been there the previous day. Looked great - they'd done the place up with all sorts of fake material to make it look like a castle. The walls were moulded plastic and some sort of resin. The crew gave the kids a tour. they were taking the set down to return everything to the way it was.

Still to see the show. Time flies.

Reaction score
O/T Was back in Ireland a year or so ago and out with the kids in a forest park in County Down for a walk.

Wandered right into the set for Game Of Thrones. They'd just finished filming - Sean Bean had been there the previous day. Looked great - they'd done the place up with all sorts of fake material to make it look like a castle. The walls were moulded plastic and some sort of resin. The crew gave the kids a tour. they were taking the set down to return everything to the way it was.

Still to see the show. Time flies.
Wow, that would be amazing! It was so nice of the crew to do that for your and your kids. I really want to see the series but we don't have Sky and the DVD is not out until March! I'll just have to be patient I guess...

Becky, are you from Manchester? (I recognised the photos of Castlefield from just the 'thumbnails')
Yep! Well technically I'm from Dorset, but I met my husband at Manchester University and we've been here ever since. How about you?

The Y_man

Reaction score
I am a bit of a feed-yourself-from-garden-permaculture nut.

We aim to be 95% self sufficeint from our standard suburban block wihout the use of fertilisers, herbicides, etc.

The Y-man

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a campsite in a very remote section of the Ocala National Forest (Florida). We keep our RV there and use it for weekend getaways. We also enjoy cooking outdoors and built a grill and barbecue pit on site.

I also store my old Yamaha and Casio wk 3000 there for after dinner entertainment...

Reaction score
In the evenings i love to read - i'm currently engrossed in book 2 of a song of fire and ice (ie game of thrones etc) which is really good. I can't wait to get the tv series on dvd when it's released.
I've just started reading the first book "A Game of Thrones", I've seen the series and loved them, my friend told me that the books was so much better so I had to read it. :D I also have a hard time waiting for the new episodes x)

When I'm not reading or playing music I enjoy hanging out with friends or play the occasional video game. :p

Reaction score
My previous hobby was Bonsai (miniature trees). It was kind of pushed aside by the keyboard......I am wanting to start again..............

Reaction score
I really enjoy basketball, watching and playing. A lot of my personal practice is exercises, so a lot of times I'll be watching a game while I'm practicing. I also like to play the guitar, though I just mess around on it really.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm an old movie buff and I used to paint in oils but am concentrating more on my music these days. Then again of course I am also a technology freak and still keep up on what's happening in electronics and computers as much as possible.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention I love to cook. I love trying out new recipes and sampling new dishes.

Reaction score
Meant to post this ages ago - Game Of Thrones. Finally got to see the first series on DVD - really good. I mentioned on this thread about wandering into a set. Having seen it I can tell you it was the outdoor set up at the buildings at the base of the big wall. No snow when I was there and they'd been filming the day before. The courtyard where they practise with swords - and all the building you see were there. Very well done. It's an actual tower courtyard thing that they've built up with extra bricks and wood effect foam. Really effective. I was standing right next to bits that had been converted and added to - and I only knew because the crew were showing off their work and pointing stuff out. Very skilled.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention I love to cook. I love trying out new recipes and sampling new dishes.
I knew there had to be something else we had in common. I love cooking, and do almost all of it in our house. Not that my lovely wife can't cook; but she's busy building her business while I sit around playing music and riding motorcycles (my #3 passion during the winter, rising to #1 during the warmer months). We've also gotten into growing a lot of our own herbs and veggies, just gettin' the greenhouse running for this year.

I made a resolution at the beginning of the year to get back into composing and recording, and I'm definitely doing that now - but as the temps warm up those bikes will demand their seat time. :) Really enjoying composing and recording my own music to provide background tracks for my ride videos. First one is here:

Reaction score
Well, I got kind of a mixed life. I accomplished what I had set out to do after high school. I worked 19 1/2 years at a public utility. Electrician for Western Mass Electric Company in a hydro-electric station sunk deep into a mountain in Massachusetts. All my life has been centered around electricity in one form or another. I picked up my mechanical skills by "doing" stuff. Take apart and put together. See what makes it tick! I tested for and got a master and journeyman electrician's license. I wired and rewired houses. I did industrial wiring. I wired machines and designed electrical functions on machines. I worked in many different industries: textile, paper, china, chemical, hydro-electric.
I tried to do karaoke for institutions and fraternal orders but that didn't pan out. I went into doing mobile DJ stuff. This worked out but not to the extent I wished for. But I do - do dj for any American Legion post within a hundred mile radius of where I live for FREE! I put out a tip jar - if I get something I'm grateful but I don't squable if I don't get anything. I love the music I have. My collection includes just about everything except rap and heavy metal. It's all on a portable hard drive. I got somewhere around 200,000 songs on computer.
Now I'm attacking a digital piano - keeps the mind active.

Reaction score
When I get tired of playing with my DAW I head out to the local golf courses...to fish the ponds for bass! Found I'm not genetically programmed for that game of golf!

Reaction score
I'm a "gamer"- but not into videogames- starting around 2009 I got into boardgames, of all things. I don't mean simple stuff like Monopoly, I mean the super-involved strategy/adventure games you can only find at comic book stores (and Barns&Nobles sometimes) It started with a very strange, extremely complicated game called Arkham Horror and the addiction just grew from there...

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
My other hobbies are fishing, watching football and basketball and anything outdoors. I spend time at our family farm doing farm things like baling hay, tractor work etc. I also like riding ATV's etc.

Ask a Question