What cable to use with my PSR-420?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR-420 keyboard and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on my HP Pavilion laptop. I'm looking for a midi input/output cable that works for it, but most of the cables I've seen (including one I just returned) only work on 32-bit operating systems. Which specific cable should I use? Do I need a Yamaha UX16 Midi Interface, or would a less expensive cable work? I'd appreciate any links if you have any readily available.

Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have one of these I use mainly with my KXstudio Linux system but it also works just fine when I boot Win 7 64 bit.

http://www.amazon.com/MIDIMAN-MIDIS...7556688&sr=1-1&keywords=m-audio+midisport+1x1

Then again, for that matter I'm confused as to what sort of MIDI cable DOESN'T work with Win 7 64 bit? I also use one of these with my Windows dual boot machine without any problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-USB-M...qid=1407556931&sr=1-3&keywords=midi+interface

Is this some weird limitation of the Yamaha bundled software or something?

As far as I know, any class compliant USB MIDI interface should work just fine with any modern operating system regardless of whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

What interface did you try that crapped out on you and exactly what error messages did it give you?

Gary

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. I used this keyboard on a Mac G5 running Leopard (32-bit, I'm guessing), but I haven't tried it for about three years or so. Plenty of time to forget what I did then. I thought I just plugged everything in, opened GarageBand, and everything worked immediately.

I'm thinking part of this problem was resolved when I saw your post and thought, "What bundled software?" It sounds like waiting until 1:00 am wasn't the greatest first step I could have tried. (I swear I was sober!)

I've heard of latency issues involved with connecting keyboards into a USB hub. Would connecting through a USB hub render the keyboard at least momentarily unusable? My cable, a Hosa usm-422, had one red light on the USB side of the box thing, but no light on the MIDI side. Did I mess up?

Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off here's the manual for your interface.

http://hosatech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/USM-422_Install.pdf

It seems to be a USB MIDI Class Compliant device. That means the drivers are built into the OS.

Pay attention to which connectors you connect to MIDI OUT and MIDI IN on your keyboard.

A USB Hub might in fact cause problems. Better if you can plug it directly into a computer USB port.

As for lights on the MIDI side, those usually only flash on and off when there is an actual MIDI signal passing thru the interface. What happens when you hit a few keys on the keyboard?

A couple of things to check, too late now for me to scan manuals all night (I gotta get some sleep soon. I've been screwing around with this forced skype upgrade all night and fighting a losing battle.)

Anyway, first of all, check if the Keyboard's MIDI out ports are enabled in the Keyboard's menu.

Second, if you're running it with Garageband you probably have to set up some sort of configuration option in the program's options or MIDI or whatever they call their preferences menus.

In other words, you'll have to make sure the keyboard is actually talking to the program and you'll have to make sure the program actually can see the Keyboard's MIDI port and is configured to use the particular voice set of the keyboard in question.

Anyway, if you don't need sleep play around with the settings tonight, download all the manuals and quick start guides and make sure you are properly configured before you start blaming the interface.

Plugging directly into a computer USB port might help but more than likely it shouldn't really make a difference.

Then again if this a Mac setup, I'm sketchy on Macs. I can only really speak authoritatively about Linux and Windows machines but these are general procedures that apply to all platforms.

Good luck...

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds...

5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1.....

(BOOM!)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha PSR-420 keyboard and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on my HP Pavilion laptop. I'm looking for a midi input/output cable that works for it, but most of the cables I've seen (including one I just returned) only work on 32-bit operating systems. Which specific cable should I use? Do I need a Yamaha UX16 Midi Interface, or would a less expensive cable work? I'd appreciate any links if you have any readily available.

Thank you.

What kind of cable did you return? I've never heard of a MIDI-to-USB cable that works with only 32-bit systems.

I don't think you need a Yamaha UX16. What I think you do need-- because it sounds like maybe you haven't installed it yet-- is Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...1040686&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=37206

If you search Yamaha's web site for "USB-MIDI driver," you'll get a lot of hits for various keyboards and other devices, because the same USB-MIDI driver applies to all Yamaha keyboards and devices. But there are different flavors depending on your computer's operating system:

32-bit Windows (WinXP through Win8) -- Use V3.1.3 for Win 32-bit
64-bit Windows (WinXP through Win8) -- Use V3.1.3 for Win 64-bit
Older Windows (WinME and Win98) -- Use V1.2.2 for Win
Macintosh (10.1.5 - 10.4.0) -- Use V1.0.4 for Mac

The preceding link is for the PSR-295, but don't worry about that-- it uses the same USB-MIDI driver as all other Yamaha keyboards (including the PSR-420). What's important is that you get the right version for your OS-- in this case (based on what you've said), V3.1.3 for 64-bit Windows. You should also download the installation guide for reference.

Installation is easy-- the instructions only look more complicated than they are. Note that Yamaha recommends you log onto your computer as Administrator (or an account that has Administrator-level permissions). They also mention disconnecting any other USB devices other than your computer keyboard and mouse, but I don't think that's really necessary-- I didn't do that, and I didn't run into any trouble. Anyway, the steps are as follows:

Turn off your Yamaha keyboard.
Connect it to your computer via a MIDI-to-USB cable. Don't use a USB hub-- plug the cable directly into one of the computer's USB ports. (That may be one of the reasons they suggest disconnecting other USB devices-- so you'll have a USB port available.)
Turn on your keyboard.
If the "New Hardward" wizard pops up, just cancel out of it.
Install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver while your keyboard is connected and turned on.

After that you should be good to go.

Reaction score
@happyrat1: I admit I fell into the match-up trap at first, then I saw online that MIDI-out needs to match with MIDI-in on some (all?) Yamaha keyboards. I tried it both ways, but it didn't work.

I tried a few notes, but the MIDI light never came on. I used it through a USB hub with an unused external DVD-RW drive plugged into the hub. I turned up the volume on the keyboard and got sound through the keyboard's speaker.

I have my Mac (with OS 10.5.8) boxed up (it uses 5x the power of my laptop). I hadn't planned to use it anytime soon, with the possible exception of music. Still, I can check my software's settings for configuration.

@SeaGtGruff: I had a Hosa usm-422 cable. Apparently, according to this link, "this product does not support 64-bit systems." I wish Staples had said that.

It sounds like I was a little too rash with my attempted reasoning. I just bought a HDE USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard, which happens to be the same one I lost a few years ago before I got this laptop and am now trying to replace. It worked fine on my G5 with Leopard, even with the pedal. While I'm here, some users have reported trouble using their pedal with their instruments using various cords. Why is that? Am I likely to have the same problem?

I don't have the same PSR keyboard you linked to. I'll install the 295 drivers and see what happens. I hope I can still use my 420.... Er, umm, I, uhh... I meant, umm....

Anyway, thanks to all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I read that note about 64 Bit and the interface. It seems you are correct that it is some weirdass chipset that's not supported by 64 bit.

In that case almost any interface should do.

Try one of these for $3

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-USB-M...qid=1407556931&sr=1-3&keywords=midi+interface

Worst case scenario you are only out $3

As for drivers. You only need to install drivers if you are using a direct USB to USB connection on the keyboard. Otherwise if you are using a USB to MIDI interface you don't need Yamaha's drivers.

Does it have a USB IN port on the keyboard? If so then you'd need a standard USB AB Printer cable and the drivers.

Otherwise if you are using a USB MIDI adapter don't bother installing the Yamaha drivers. They'll only screw up your system anyway.

And like I said earlier, MIDI OUT and MIDI IN have to be enabled on any MIDI keyboard. On many it's enabled by default but check your menu settings to make sure they are turned on and if necessary try a factory reset on the keyboard just in case any settings are screwing you up.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK I had time to look at the 420 manual.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR420E.pdf

First of all there's no USB port on it so just buy the $3 Amazon interface and plug IN to OUT and OUT to IN and plug the USB plug into the computer and let windows find the drivers automagically.

Then on Page 58 of the manual you'll find the KeybdOUT setting. Just make sure it's turned on and you're good to go.

On page 57 you'll find the RemoteChnl Setting. Set that to OFF to receive on all 16 channels.

Then for whatever software you want to run with it make sure the software is configured to see the MIDI device port and set the output voicing to GM since that's all it seems capable of and you should be off to the races.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY YAMAHA DRIVERS.

If you're still having trouble at this point get back to us here.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I just got the new cable. I've been tinkering with the keyboard and refreshed my memory about a few settings and what I did a few years ago. I almost have all the cobwebs cleared out of my brain.

Now the only problem is that when I try to record audio, I mostly get static. It works fine in Midi-Ox, but not in Acid Pro 7. I disabled my deadphone mic, which cut the static. However, Acid isn't recording any sound through the cable. Midi-Ox detects sounds and notes which keys I press. (By the way, there's some latency even without a USB hub. That doesn't seem to be a big problem for me now as long as I can get Acid to work.) Is something wrong in Windows, Acid, or elsewhere? What settings should I use?

Thanks to all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a big difference between MIDI data and Audio. For an audio connection you'll need an audio cable connected from the audio out jacks on the PSR-420 to the BLUE Line IN connector on your computer's soundcard.

MIDI is digital sequencer data for your DAW.

Audio is analog data for your sound card.

According to the manual the PSR-420 has no Line OUTs so you'll have to make a connection from the headphone jack to the BLUE Line IN on your soundcard. Don't use the pink Mic IN jack because the levels are incompatible.

Actually even headphone output levels are incompatible with LINE levels but if you keep the keyboard's output volume turned very very low it will work to a degree.

Really though, this is a keyboard that was never designed to output to anything other than its own internal speakers or standard headphones.

Fort an ideal connection you would also hook it thru a 20 dB attenuator or a DI box to match up levels and impedances, but this gear can be hard to come by and costly for low budget home keyboard.

Anyway, here's a cable which can be kludged to provide basic connection. If you notice any overdriving or distortion you should stop using it immediately.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CM...064774&sr=8-12&keywords=1/4"+trs+to+3.5mm+trs

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, alternatively you could always just use the MIDI data in your DAW to drive virtual instruments on your PC that would actually sound better than the crappy Yamaha GM voices that shipped with the keyboard.

In that case you are simply using the keyboard as a controller for VSTi plugins on your computer. Give it a try to see how much better they can sound that way.

Google VSTi and DAW if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
I think I can complicate things a little further: all I have is a headphone jack and a (presumably pink) headphone jack in my laptop. I think my laptop just has sound and video from its motherboard; I don't remember seeing any way to get to the audio input/output jacks in y computer, nor do I see room for extra plug-in outlets. I have a mini-HDMI port, a networking port, and a 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port that aren't being used, but no blue line-in.

This is part of why I prefer tower PCs: they can do more. Better video, better sound, more USB ports. I'll start saving my money...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With the DI box connector I listed the Pink MIC IN jack is doable.

Just go ahead and buy the stuff I listed in my previous message and plug into the mic jack and you should be OK. DI box and the two adapter cables.

Or else use the MIDI connection as a controller and simply load up on some freeware VSTi software and you're already good to go.

Just google "freeware vsti".

Gary

Reaction score
Thank you, happyrat1. I came across Anvil Studio, and it seems to work fine now. I still don't know why it didn't work in Acid. I probably just have a bad setting somewhere. (I screamed as soon as I saw Acid's interface; buttons everywhere, dozens of menus, etc. lol.)

Anyway, y'all were very helpful. I'll see if I can get something out. Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anvil Studio is pretty good. Another freeware DAW is Reaper.

Technically it's an evaluation copy but it never actually expires. :D

Gary

Ask a Question