What Controller to sit on top of my RD-800?

Reaction score
I've got a Roland RD-800 88 key fully weighted slab that is absolutely all I could ever dream of for playing piano, but now I need to do more, and am thinking about buying another set of keys to go on top of my RD-800. For one, my band has lost its bass player, and so now I'm doing double duty, and I can do this by splitting my keyboard, but I'd prefer not, and instead would much prefer to have the entire keyboard available as a piano. I also like to play with synth and organ parts from time to time, but again would like the piano sounds available when need be. So.....

I've been looking at MIDI controllers rather than buying a synth since the RD-800 has so many wonderful sounds available that a controller could play, and here's where I need your advice since I know close to nothing about controllers, other than I definitely need a MIDI out DIN socket since I will not be connecting through a computer. Questions I have include would 49 keys be enough, or should I limit my search to 61? And which controllers would be the easiest to use, and are most solidly built? Units that I've looked at include:

• Alesis VI61
  • Akai MPK261
  • M-Audio Code 61
  • Alesis VX49
  • Roland A-800PRO
  • Novation Impulse 61
  • Novation 61 SL MkII
Thoughs? Ideas?
I'd like to limit my budget to $400 unless the extra $$ are truly worth the expenditures.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Reaction score
I use an EDIROL PCR800 controller for the exact purpose u need one for. Has DIN MIDI out, 61 keys, split and layer, tons of control knobs, sliders, etc. or get an A80 or A33 from Roland, used around $100 on Reverb or EBay.
I love my PCR800. I totally recommend it.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I vote for a 61 key controller unless you're always going to keep one hand on the piano. You may want to get a controller with aftertouch as well as velocity sensitivity.

Reaction score
I use an EDIROL PCR800 controller for the exact purpose u need one for. Has DIN MIDI out, 61 keys, split and layer, tons of control knobs, sliders, etc. or get an A80 or A33 from Roland, used around $100 on Reverb or EBay.
I love my PCR800. I totally recommend it.

Thanks for the information -- much appreciated!

Reaction score
I vote for a 61 key controller unless you're always going to keep one hand on the piano. You may want to get a controller with aftertouch as well as velocity sensitivity.

Thanks, much appreciate!

I assume that all the ones that I listed have velocity sensitivity, but please let me know if that assumption is off. I hadn't thought much about after-touch, have never used it before, but assume that this would be useful for synth work. I'll need to look more into this.

I see that in your "Coming Soon (2016):" section you list :
....Roland A-800 Pro, Alessis VI61

Does this mean that you're planning on purchasing both? If so, I'm curious as to why, since they're both 61 key MIDI controllers (and ones I've looked at).

Again, thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I see that in your "Coming Soon (2016):" section you list :
....Roland A-800 Pro, Alessis VI61

Does this mean that you're planning on purchasing both? If so, I'm curious as to why, since they're both 61 key MIDI controllers (and ones I've looked at).

My requirements are a little strange. I'm planning on a virtual organ, which means that unless I get keyboards specifically designed for use as organ keyboards ($525-$1,895), I need two or more 61 note MIDI controllers. On the other hand, I also plan on using at least one of the keyboards in a more electronic stack, which means I need aftertouch, etc. Rather than spend a lot of money on two MIDI controllers with aftertouch, etc., I'm attempting to save a bit of money. One of them also has a merging thru, which means one less piece of ancillary equipment. The pedal electronics also includes a merging thru, so I only need to create one long MIDI cable path.

Probably should mention what a merging thru is. In most keyboards, you find three MIDI ports. In/Out/Thru. In is where external signals go into the keyboard. This is useful if you're using some other controller to send note information to the keyboard. An example would be a wind controller or drums or a computer. Out is where the notes you press on the keyboard are sent to some other sound module. Thru for most keyboards is the In going back out. This would be useful if you've got one controller/sequencer driving a bunch of sound modules and keyboards. However, a few keyboards have the intelligence to merge the signal from In with the internally generated note information. That's a merging thru. They're relatively rare, and wouldn't be something to look for unless you're trying to build an organ or have other specialized needs.

As for the timing, I'm looking at setting up the organ once I pass the RCM level six piano performance assessment, and the electronic stack either a year later or when Sweetwater offers four year interest free financing. (Yeah, that probably won't happen. But if it does, I'm leaping.) I'd rather not spend more than I need to, thus the two controllers with different capabilities and prices.

My requirements are different than most people, so my controller needs are too.

Reaction score
Wow, ask a simple question.....
.... and get an education! Thanks and good luck with meeting your needs soon!

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the Akai MPK261 Controller....
Anyone with good/bad experiences with Akai? Their reputation looks to be solid.

Reaction score
As I have gotten older (a lot older) I find weight of equipment to be much more of a factor. I love the Roland RD800 but I don't have a roady so I am now using a FA08 instead. On top I sometimes use an old FA76 which I am very fond of, but for weight saving plus the drawbars I replace it with a Casio WK7600 which has a surprisingly good key action for cheap. (Not as good as the Roland FA76 by a large measure) I know you only wanted a controller and plan on using the RD onboard sounds but that is more complicated than I would be willing to tackle in a live setting. YMMV

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 467
Reaction score
As I have gotten older (a lot older) I find weight of equipment to be much more of a factor. I love the Roland RD800 but I don't have a roady so I am now using a FA08 instead. On top I sometimes use an old FA76 which I am very fond of, but for weight saving plus the drawbars I replace it with a Casio WK7600 which has a surprisingly good key action for cheap. (Not as good as the Roland FA76 by a large measure) I know you only wanted a controller and plan on using the RD onboard sounds but that is more complicated than I would be willing to tackle in a live setting. YMMV
Boy do I hear that. Which is why I went with the Yamaha MX49 as my main multitimbral sound source, with the Roland A30 midi merged out with the PCR800, into the MX. So far it's awesome. Gives me at least 3 patches, up to 6 if I need them, then I added the Roland SH201 to get those 80s pads, 5ths and leads, and the knobs to twiddle! And best is, they are all lightweight. I pack both controllers into one bag with a pad between them, gives me 3 cases, and I'm using an On Stage A frame w 4 tiers.
That breaks down light as well, it's 2 trips to the truck, basically.

Ask a Question