What do u think about "the best fake book ever"

Reaction score
Hi all, just saw a music sheet book called "the best fake book ever", it has lots of music pieces that seem to be in lead sheet format. Anybody used it before? Any thoughts? comment?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have used many of his books. They suit me as I do not play bass clef.
So I have my melody with the treble clef and the chords as they are printed above the treble clef. The KB ACMP and choice of voices gives me heaps of options and the end sound result is pleasing. (usually!):rolleyes:

I am not sure what is mean't by "Fake"
Is it the fact that they have simplified the key sig.?

:)Ray

Reaction score
I toog
I have used many of his books. They suit me as I do not play bass clef.
So I have my melody with the treble clef and the chords as they are printed above the treble clef. The KB ACMP and choice of voices gives me heaps of options and the end sound result is pleasing. (usually!):rolleyes:

I am not sure what is mean't by "Fake"
Is it the fact that they have simplified the key sig.?

:)Ray
I google it:
real book vs fake book
"It got its name to distinguish it from the widely available fake books which printed only chords and lyrics of standard songs, to avoid copyright issues. The Real Book included melody lines, thus infringing music copyright, ..."

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Most fake books I've seen include words and melody as well as chords. You'll get a lot of songs in a small amount of space with fake books. But there's very little clue about what the song is supposed to sound like. Essential rhythms, etc., can't be included

If you know the piece, then a fake book is great. If you don't, then you'll need to find an audio recording of the song, too.

As for the "best" label? That's marketing.

PSRTutorial.com has a section reviewing fake books. You might want to take a look at their comments before buying one. Heck, one of the members has been creating a database of what songs appear in what fake books. You can get fake books that match your musical taste.

Reaction score
PSRTutorial.com has a section reviewing fake books. You might want to take a look at their comments before buying one. Heck, one of the members has been creating a database of what songs appear in what fake books. You can get fake books that match your musical taste.
Just saw that they used the cover image of "the best fake book ever" on psrturorial FB intro page..lol...also saw the database you mentioned...wow..that's very powerful.

Ask a Question