What gear to play live with sequences?

Reaction score
Hi,

Hello to the keyboardforums, this is my first post, thank you for accepting me.

We are a band with guitars and percussions but would like to play with sequences (mainly keyboard and drums). We'd like to record sequences in the studio and have them ready on stage to run them when we decide (depending on where we are in the song).

Any advice? Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What sorts of sounds are you looking for? Bread and butter pianos, organs and orchestral sounds or freaky deaky synth riffs?

Depending on how tight your budget is it might make a difference.

Either way you might want to invest in an iPad or a mac to handle the sequencing in a live venue,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
We do not need traditional rock/pop sounds like piano or Hammond organ but electro music sounds, synth sounds, bass sounds or beat box type drum sounds.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you spring for an iPad you miay also want to consider a small controller like the Arturia Beatstep and/or Keystep or really any basic MIDI controller and using soft synths on the iPad.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Regarding the connecting to an iPad video in Garys post, the guy correctly states to only use genuine Apple products.

He does correctly call the interface a Camera adaptor and he shows both 30 pin and lightning connectors but the lightning connector version he shows just has a USB socket.

This is not the adaptor that I would ever recommend that anyone buys.

There is another version that has two sockets, one lightning socket and one USB socket. This version is the one to buy since it gives the option of powering iPad whilst using it.

Do also be aware that not all MIDI keyboards will be powered from the iPad, some require an intermediate powered USB hub.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for those suggestions. Those synths sound great! What about sequencers for live use? Suppose we have recorded the sounds in the studio, how can we trigger them live on stage at some points in the songs? What kind of gear does that conveniently?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Many of these keys I've listed have built in step sequencers and arpeggiators.

If you use one of those keyboards as a standalone instrument you'll just have to dig thru the manuals and video tutorials to learn how to control the sequences and chain them and which buttons to push and when.

Otherwise this is why I suggested an ipad or a laptop to run a sequencing program that you control from mouse and keyboard.

As for hardware sequencers? Take another look at the Korg Electribes, as well as various other modern drum machines.

They run anywhere between a couple of hundred and thou$and$ of dollars.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c643--Drum_Machines_and_Samplers

You'll have to research the individual models and features to decide what you need and what you can afford.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's an Ableton Push Controller used with a Behringer Deepmind 12. Identical to the Deepmind 6 except for twice the polyphony and 1 more octave on the keyboard.

This gives you and idea of sequencing options.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Regarding the connecting to an iPad video in Garys post, the guy correctly states to only use genuine Apple products.

He does correctly call the interface a Camera adaptor and he shows both 30 pin and lightning connectors but the lightning connector version he shows just has a USB socket.

This is not the adaptor that I would ever recommend that anyone buys.

There is another version that has two sockets, one lightning socket and one USB socket. This version is the one to buy since it gives the option of powering iPad whilst using it.

Do also be aware that not all MIDI keyboards will be powered from the iPad, some require an intermediate powered USB hub.

I have a similar problem regarding connectors. My first foray into the iOS domain just happens an Series 7 iPad. Research reveals that this is the First time they have NOT included a headphone jack. So how do I connect it to my mixer?

Is there a connector which allows me to 1) Control the iPad via MIDI/USB 2) connect to mixer (via cable) 3) power the iPad simultaneously???

Reaction score
I have a similar problem regarding connectors. My first foray into the iOS domain just happens an Series 7 iPad. Research reveals that this is the First time they have NOT included a headphone jack. So how do I connect it to my mixer?

Is there a connector which allows me to 1) Control the iPad via MIDI/USB 2) connect to mixer (via cable) 3) power the iPad simultaneously???

You need a genuine Apple Camera Adaptor.

They have Lightning plug a short lead and a dual socket, one socket being USB and the other being a Lightning socket which you can use to connect the iPad charger.

Do note that there is another version with just a USB socket.

D4BC91F4-0901-45CD-8ADA-DD934A1A773B.jpeg

Reaction score
You need a genuine Apple Camera Adaptor.

They have Lightning plug a short lead and a dual socket, one socket being USB and the other being a Lightning socket which you can use to connect the iPad charger.

Do note that there is another version with just a USB socket.

View attachment 1126

Thanks. I’m familiar with this plug. But how would I get the sound (audio) from the iPad to my mixer? My iPad does not have a headphone jack.

Reaction score
Thanks. I’m familiar with this plug. But how would I get the sound (audio) from the iPad to my mixer? My iPad does not have a headphone jack.

Audio is via the USB

The Lightning socket has stereo audio, the Apple wired headphones I have have a Lightning plug and the work just fine on my iPhone

That said if I was in your position I would use my Korg Kross, where I can load prerecorded files into the sequencer pad to call them up as required.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All I can say is by the time you've hooked up the entire snake's nest of cables to a $thou$and dollar iPad I really have to ask is this too awkward or would it simply be easier to hook everything up to a Windows computer running Linux and do your sequencing that way?

What's the point of having an ultraportable tablet or notebook if you need a dozen kludge cables streaming all over the stage?

To be honest, until the keyboard industry starts building them with Lightning connectors I really don't understand why all the sheeple in the music industry insist on using the current generation of iPads and Apple Laptops.

Apples may be more reliable on stage, but I swear to god, all of the hoops they make you jump thru just to have that stupid apple logo on your computers, accessories and software just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think before I'd be willing to go that route I find it much simpler to just buy a decent Windows computer and dedicate it to music production. And I'm not a great Windows fan either but unfortunately some stuff simply can't run on Linux yet so I still find myself dual booting. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary.

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve used windows & outboard gear for over 25 years and am most familiar with that format. Was anxious to work the iPad into the mix but as much as I hate learning curves and cable spaghetti, maybe I should just stick with my Win10 notebook & use the iPad for impromptu composing.

I saw a guy on YouTube trying out different adaptors & cables on his iPad with very mixed results ...YUK!!!

Thanks All,

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My new iPhone 8 came with one of these. Do the new iPads not?

Anyways thats all you need. Not sure why some people think you need a ton of cables?

Well my point is, if you need a USB port on stage, as well as audio out, as well as a way to keep it charged up, at this point you start having to add splitters and create a bodge of cables that makes the Gordian Knot look like a shoelace :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question