What is a good 88 key keyboard with decent built in sounds and has midi in and midi out terminals?

Reaction score
I am looking for an 88 key digital piano/keyboard to be used as a midi controller for my Roland Integra 7 sound module (to be used for live gigs). What I need:

Midi In and Out terminals - my sound module does not have USB - only 5 point midi.
Fully Weighted Keys
Decent Built-in sounds as backup (piano, eps, etc) (but nothing too fancy - don't need bells and whistles)
Split button, Layer Button or split/layer settings
Pitch wheel/Mod wheel
Under 30 pounds
solid action (I am a serious pianist that gigs regularly and am very picky with actions)
also an octave button would be great

Let me know of any good models.... My favorite keyboard brands are Yamaha and Roland, Casio is also cool

-albert

Reaction score
you should focus on finding the best controller, dont worry about the usb vs. 5 pin midi plugs. they make usb to midi 5 pin adapters for cheap so dont let that deter the keyboard choice.

Reaction score
you should focus on finding the best controller, dont worry about the usb vs. 5 pin midi plugs. they make usb to midi 5 pin adapters for cheap so dont let that deter the keyboard choice.
I already have an adapter but I don't wanna have to plug in an extra device. Only something with 5 point midi ports.

Reaction score
Action is subjective, but other than that...

Kurzweil PC4, PC4SE, SP6 (maybe SP1, but its built-in sounds and MIDI functionality are both very limited)

Casio PX-5S (possibly also Casio PX-560, but its MIDI functionality is far more limited)

Korg Kross 88

maybe Roland RD88 (if you can get by with 5-pin MIDI Out but no 5-pin MIDI In)

Reaction score
Action is subjective, but other than that...

Kurzweil PC4, PC4SE, SP6 (maybe SP1, but its built-in sounds and MIDI functionality are both very limited)

Casio PX-5S (possibly also Casio PX-560, but its MIDI functionality is far more limited)

Korg Kross 88

maybe Roland RD88 (if you can get by with 5-pin MIDI Out but no 5-pin MIDI In)
anything by yamaha?

Reaction score
anything by yamaha?
no, not with 88 keys and under 30 lbs.

MX88 and MODX top 30 lbs, though just barely. MODX8 has the much better MIDI functionality of the two.

CP73 and YC73 could work, except they only have 73 keys.

Ask a Question