What is MIDI exactly?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to electronic keyboards and MIDI, but I read about it on the internet and would like to find out a bit more. I've been playing music for quite a while now (saxophone and piano) and am looking for a way to make simple songs on the computer, by playing loops, using different sounds and maybe a simple beat, so I could play solos over it and try to make some basic songs.
I thought this would go best with MIDI, but I'm not quite sure what it really encompasses, and what I need if I want to use it.

Reaction score
I've been playing music for quite a while now (saxophone and piano).

You've done the hard bit - getting good with a computer/midi set-up won't take long compared to learning to play an acoustic instrument.

Anyone in your circle of friends can give you a quick demo of how MIDI lets a controller (keyboard or whatever) to "talk to" a sound source?

Speak to the keyboard player in your local bands - the offer of a few free beers or a bottle of wine might be enough for them to give you a demo of their set-up.

Rex files:
Don't know what you want to record/write - but if you can record your sax and piano with a microphone into a computer program - you just need something for bass and a percussion/rhythm track to play along to. You get inexpensive loops in a format called Rex for lots of different styles. You import them into the software and copy and paste like a word processor to make up a drum track. They even adjust themselves (sort of) if you change the tempo of your click track.

Get a mate to play bass for you.

There are books on MIDI but getting someone to show you what it does will be quicker. You can ask them questions - maybe have them help set-up your system and get it all working for you.

Reaction score
Just a thought but if you're a fairly good sax player - maybe there's an electro outfit near you that will be totally on top of the technology. You could do a skills swap - you play some cracking sax solos on a few of their tunes and in return they can show you the computer and midi basics.

Stick and ad up.

A live instrument can sometimes really bring a techno track to life.

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't think there's an electro outfit in my neighborhood, but I do think I can find someone to teach me the MIDI basics. This will probably be the easiest way to learn about it and see how I can fit it into my music playing.
I looked into this Rex thing, and it looks quite interesting.
I'll look out for a victim to teach me all about these things :)
Thanks for the replies and the tips!

Reaction score
Try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_Instrument_Digital_Interface
There are books on midi and home recording that can be very helpful in understanding and using MIDI in music creation. MIDI is one of those things that requires personal study and understanding in order to set-up your instruments and DAW/computer to communicate. It isn't that difficult, but you have to know the basics , and since hardware set-ups vary from one person to another you have to
personally understand how your gear and software needs to be configured.
Start with the reading, and study the manuals for the your keyboards, interconnect
instruments, and play around to experience what they can do. Be patient and
have fun doing it too. B3

Ask a Question