What is the best Rotary Pedal? Boss RT20 maybe?

Reaction score
I want to buy a LESLIE EMULATION ROTARY PEDAL for playing live. I currently have a Yamaha CP50 keyboard and although there is the capability to use the onboard rotary with an expression pedal, it's not giving me what I want. I've been looking at the Boss RT20 rotary pedal online and it is $219.00 new. Is this the best Leslie Emulation Rotary Pedal for the money? Suggestions?
BOSS RT-20.jpg

Reaction score
I understand I can also use a Roland EV5 expression pedal with this and can oscillatte the rotary sound in real time.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I have been comparing the specs of the Neo to the RT-20. The Boss RT-20 allows me to use a Roland EV5 expression pedal for real time ramp up and ramp down (like a gas pedal). I love the Leslies, but my days of lugging them around are over. The RT-20 cost half as much as the Neo Ventilator. I wish I could speak to someone who has used the RT-20 and others and can give a real comparison. I'm not sure I want to pay twice as much if the RT-20 does the job for me. Here are the RT-20 specs and info:
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=696

Reaction score
Scott, the reason my screen name is the B3maniac is that my ex-wife told me I had developed a mania to replace my B3 and leslie after I sold them. That was years ago, and I've had a long list of different 'organs" and rotary pedals. That said, my "mania" was cured when I got the Neo Ventilator leslie 122 simulator. To my ears, the Ventilator is so good at it's job that I don't need a leslie. The Ventilator costs a bit more than the pedal you posted, but in terms of satisfaction, I could not recommend any other leslie sim. If you want quality sound and realistic simulation, get the Ventilator. Don

Reaction score
Dave, Have you used the RT20 and can you comment on pros/cons? Also, with the Ventilator, can you use an expression pedal for real time Rotor ramp-up/down? If so, what expression pedal works with the ventilator?

Reaction score
No, you cannot ramp/up down a Vent using an expression pedal. The ramp up/down function switch employed in the Vent is using a hammond switch wiring scheme. Even my Motion Sound slow/fast pedal switch doesn't work with the Vent.

The wiring scheme can be seen on page 5 of the manual which is here:

http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#safe=active&hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=neo ventilator manual&oq=neo ventilatr&gs_l=hp.1.3.0i13l4.1262.3079.0.5352.13.9.0.3.3.0.310.1240.2j6j0j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.KNlGhFxA0_0&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1280&bih=929&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

Reaction score
Ok, I see the differences. I use a Yamaha keyboard with organ sounds. I do not have a Hammond as you do. In my application, perhaps the RT20 is best. Also I can use the expression pedal in Real time. I respect that the "Ventilator" may be the best option when interfacing with a real Hammond. The expression pedal feature with the Boss RT-20 is a must for me when playing blues-based music.

Dave, I respect your input and am hoping someone who has actually used the RT20 chimes-in with pros-cons. Thanks again.

No, you cannot ramp/up down a Vent using an expression pedal. The ramp up/down function switch employed in the Vent is using a hammond switch wiring scheme. Even my Motion Sound slow/fast pedal switch doesn't work with the Vent.

The wiring scheme can be seen on page 5 of the manual which is here:

http://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#safe=active&hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=neo ventilator manual&oq=neo ventilatr&gs_l=hp.1.3.0i13l4.1262.3079.0.5352.13.9.0.3.3.0.310.1240.2j6j0j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.KNlGhFxA0_0&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1280&bih=929&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

Reaction score
The Vent ramp up/down is more like a real leslie although ramp/down rates are somewhat manually adjustable to suit your taste. That beats having to swap the belt to a different pulley on a real leslie....lol. I've not used the RT-20, so I'm not knocking it as a rotary device, but I came along using real Hammonds and leslies so my expectations may be a lot different. That said, after having so may other pedals/simulators thru the years I am finally happy with one. It really makes my CX3 sound great,and this is my best (most authentic) sounding rig since I sold my last Hammond and leslie. D

Reaction score
HOW ABOUT IT? Has anybody used the RT-20 and wouldn't mind elaborating on functionality, likes and dislikes?
I had an RT-20 that I used with several clonewheel organs, mainly VK-8 and B4. I replaced it with a Ventilator II (using w Nord stage II) which I'm less-than-thrilled with. The RT-20 ALWAYS sounded warm, and the spinning LEDs were very useful. The Vent seldom sounds warm to me, and the two little "rotating" LEDs are all but useless. The most distracting vent quality to me is that I can't get the pitch fluctuation in the "wob-wob-wob" subtle enough to sound as convincing as either the RT or even the built-in Nord sim. It's either too much, or there's not a high enough effect/direct ratio. I may hang on to the vent bc people ask for it by name on sessions, but I will no doubt be purchasing another RT-20. That unit is awesome, & so organic you forget it's even in your signal chain.

Reaction score
HOW ABOUT IT? Has anybody used the RT-20 and wouldn't mind elaborating on functionality, likes and dislikes?
I replied below, but I'm curious to see what you ended up going with(?).

Also meant to add on my other reply that I can't get the Vent II rotor & drum to rotate at different enough slow speeds from each other. Makes it sound like a single rotor effect sometimes when running on slow setting. Unacceptable for $500, imo.

Ask a Question