What is the best way do do this very specific thing I want?

Reaction score
Please forgive my lack of correct terms; I worked a lot with sequencers and MIDI back in the ‘90’s and am pretty rusty, but I will try and be as specific as I can about what it is that I need.

Please note that I will be talking about something I successfully used in 1998. It worked. Period. So, I don’t really need someone to explain to me how I don’t know what I’m talking about and how this would never work. It did, I promise. I just want to know how to get there again.

This is a classroom setup for a virtual orchestra so I can train young conductors how to cue separate sections of the orchestra in a rehearsal/performance space. It helped a lot when it worked.

I need a sound module (or a chain of modules) to take MIDI information from a computer using a notation program like Finale or Sibelius to separate out each MIDI channel, generate an instrumental sound for each of these channels and send out each signal (4 in all or more if possible) to a separate powered amplifier.

For instance, I play a piece written for wind ensemble out of Finale using my computer. Using MIDI and sound modules, I have 4 different instruments, let’s say flute, clarinet, oboe, and saxophone. Maybe I put the “flute” speaker in front of me to my left and the “oboe” speaker to my front right. I then put my clarinet sound behind me to the left and saxophone behind me to the right. I am now standing in the center of a room surrounded by virtual instruments playing from specific areas in a room.

Any advice? A few rules:

1. It has to be MIDI because this thing needs to be versatile and switch instruments and music often. It doesn’t have to be the prettiest sound as I’m more going for a conducting/teaching tool for a classroom. I know how to set up the software and computer to send MIDI information.

2. I am an expert in sound application and live sound. I already know how to amplify signals. I am aware that there are mixers and DAWs that exist that could also help in this, but I do not want to multi track record every single musical file I will be using because it would be time prohibitive.

3. I think what I did originally in the ’90’s was to use 2 keyboards as sound modules, panned each sound hard left or right, played MIDI channels 1 and 2 from one keyboard, MIDI thru to a second keyboard for MIDI channels 3 and 4 panned hard left and right respectively. I ended up with 4 different instruments playing in 4 different locations. Was very cool.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You don’t really need a module. Look into Virtual Instruments or VSTi technologies.

Google is your best friend.

Gary. ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
These are the cheapest modules around.

You'd need one for each spatial location plus associated amps and speakers.

Or use a surround sound setup with stereo imaging controlled by the pan settings for each channel.

The imaging can be handled by a single module and a 2.1 sound system.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question