What keyboard with Manual Bass and Lower on the left hand

Reaction score
Hi friends, I have arrangers Roland G-800 and Roland E-A7. I want to replace G-800 with some of the next arrangers or buy all three: Yamaha Genos, Korg Pa5x, or Ketron EVENT. All these keyboards have similar functions, but I need specific what the old Roland G-800 have. That is - to split the LEFT and RIGHT side so I have Manual Bass and Lower on the left hand and Upper 1 and Upper 2 on the right hand. I need to sound like playing the accordion bass section on the left side, so I can play some songs without the rhythm and arranger function. Thank you all. :)

Reaction score
I had a G800, and currently have the Korg PA4X and Yamaha Tyros. The Korg controls are more like the Roland. There is a button on the panel that instantly goes to manual bass, regardless of style or registration. It would use the bass sound set for that style. You can quickly switch from manual bass to left-hand patches. You would have to preprogram each Yamaha registration to play a manual bass using the split left hand. Yamaha does have a Manual bass tab in the menu, but it requires you to change screens. Not easy when you're playing live. I'm not familiar with the Ketron, but I am completely satisfied with the PA4X. I understand there are software glitches with the new PA5X, so check those out first.

Reaction score
Most advanced arrangers can be configured to produce a bass note and a lower pad (strings, choir) sound in the left hand, even if they don't have dedicated panel buttons for doing this.

The key is revoicing the style with a bass voice that is monophonic, so that when you play chords only one bass note (the root) is heard. Choose a pad sound like Strings or Choir with a long attack and release.

You have to trick the accompaniment by activating "sync stop", so that the pattern doesn't continue when you release the keys on the left side. Each time you press the keys, the accompaniment pattern will restart at measure 1 beat 1, sounding the root bass. Eventually the strings/choir will come in.

The other trick is to mute all of the style channels EXCEPT the bass and whichever channel contains the pad chords. On Yamahas this is usually channel 14, sometimes it's even called "Pad." The result of all these changes will produce an accordion-like effect. When you need to use the arranger function again, turn on all of the style channels, and release the sync stop.

I agree with Rogsza, the Pa5X is very new; I personally wouldn't consider it until more of the features are implemented and working. Please let us know whether my idea worked for you, and what you decided.

Reaction score
Hi friends, I have arrangers Roland G-800 and Roland E-A7. I want to replace G-800 with some of the next arrangers or buy all three: Yamaha Genos, Korg Pa5x, or Ketron EVENT. All these keyboards have similar functions, but I need specific what the old Roland G-800 have. That is - to split the LEFT and RIGHT side so I have Manual Bass and Lower on the left hand and Upper 1 and Upper 2 on the right hand. I need to sound like playing the accordion bass section on the left side, so I can play some songs without the rhythm and arranger function. Thank you all. :)
I own and recommend Yamaha Genos. As with any keyboard there is a learning curve but Genos has done everything I've asked of it.

Ask a Question