What keyboards would fit this?

Reaction score
A casual interest - but with some things I'd like.

- 88 keys, I have nice headphones if that helps versus a speaker being included, PC interface needed
- Full weighting
- Quality piano sound
- Quality and wide variety of other instrument sounds form wind to brass to string
- I've never found a use for the sort of 'background percussion' accompany tracks
- I'd like some creative control over the sounds beyond simple having sampled instruments
- Value does matter and I'd probably look for a used one.

I'm not sure what the price of this would be, but would like to know some options to think about. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland Juno DS88 might fit your needs nicely. Or perhaps a Casio Privia PX-5S or PX-360S.

Both around the $1K USD mark.

Take a look at some youtubes and a gander at the available manuals.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome. Be advised that all the models I mentioned do have some form of sequencer or backing track capabilities. It's inescapable in today's pro gear.

Then again they all have fabulous pianos and a wide selection of orchestral and synth sounds to choose from.

And none of these would appear out of place on a professional stage.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Where would the Roland RP-400 fit in? It's on sale for $800.

So many! Hard to evaluate many of them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The RP-400 and RP-401R are not what you'd call professional gear.

That being said, however, as consumer home pianos go, it does have a half decent selection of over 300 sounds. It also, however, comes with a metronome and rhythm and recording functions..

One of my main gripes with this type of consumer gear is that you are pretty much stuck with the lousy internal speakers to output your sound. Also it's not portable by any stretch of the imagination.

The 400 seems to be an international model while the 401R is the same thing sold on the American market.

Sonically speaking, all other things being equal, my advice is to go out and test drive the models I suggested as well as the 400 and decide for yourself. You said you're not too concerned with added features but that too may change with time.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question