What parms adjust this particular effect on Kross 2 acoustic piano programs?

Reaction score
On most of the Kross 2 acoustic piano programs, a knocking/tapping affect is added to the pure piano note to (I guess) simulate the percussive sound of the piano's action. Typically this effect starts higher up on the keyboard, since the sound of the action is more noticeable as you go higher in pitch. For instance, on Grand Piano 1, the effect starts rather abruptly at G#5, and IMO is way too noticeable. I certainly hear nothing like it on our baby grand. It has to be under software control since if you switch the keyboard up an octave, then the effect moves "physically" to the left on the keyboard. Also, it sometimes starts at different pitches and intensity depending on the specific program. For instance, it starts at F#6 on the fortepiano program. I looked at keyboard track and note hold, which are the only two parms I could see that can be programmed by range, but I believe I understand what those parms do, and neither seems to affect the knocking/tapping sound. Anyone know if there are user accessible parms that allow adjustment of the starting pitch and/or intensity of this effect?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My first thought is that the sound in question might be part of the sound sample, rather than an added effect.

However, if it's something that's controlled by a parameter, it should be mentioned somewhere in the Parameter Guide for the Kross.

Reaction score
I have the 61 key version.

I'm starting to think it's "baked in" too, because I've read through the whole parameter guide, and can't see how it could be assigned to start at a specific pitch. At G5 there's nothing, and then starting at G#5 it's quite noticeable. Here's the thing though--it sounds so much like what you might hear on an old, well-used, piano (which is apparently "keyframe bed" noise), but there's no way Korg would have sampled anything but a top-tier concert grand, with little or no keyframe bed noise, so it must have been added after the original samples. Interestingly, the "Very Old Grand" has more of the effect, starting quite a bit lower (but also abruptly at a specific pitch). That makes sense, since it WOULD likely have keyframe bed noise. As you move up from G#5, the knocking/tapping effect starts to realistically mimic the more percussive sound of the higher notes, so I suppose that's why it's there. To me though it simply starts too low, too abruptly, and too loud. I really wish I could adjust it.

Reaction score
Jimk

The Kross 2 has the same onboard tones irrespective of the number of keys present.

About a year after it was released a new version called the Neon was released, these had bright coloured bodies and crucially additional content.

It then took Korg a year to update the operating system of the original Kross 2 and to make the additional content of the Neon range available to the non-Neon Kross 2 keyboards.

The additional content adds over thirty additional piano sounds to the keyboard.

Hence if you do not have an up to date operating system and this additional content then you may be missing out on piano sounds that are more pleasing to you.

I no longer have my Kross 2 so cannot try it to see if a particular Program is causing the problem, I did have some key clacking tone with certain Programs but nothing that I would say that was overly intrusive.

Reaction score
I bought the Kross a couple weeks ago, and it's at v1.1, so should have latest programs.

It occurs to me that what's going on is essentially a baked-in combi effect, where the sound of perhaps some kind of wooden percussion instrument is being added to the "clean" piano sample at a particular pitch. So no way to adjust it.

My sister (a piano teacher) hears the same thing on her lower end Yamaha, and doesn't like it either. I think I'm going to check out some higher end instruments and see if recreating the percussive effect is handled in a more natural, more subtle, manner.

Reaction score
If it is a Combi then all that is is a layer of two or more instruments or Programs in Korgspeak.

With the affected Combi loaded if you then use the controls to navigate to the second tab on the screen here you can adjust the volumes to mute one or more of the tracks to see if it is indeed one of the percussion instruments that is the root cause.

Reaction score
As I said it's the Grand Piano 1 program I'm talking about, not one of the built-in combi programs. I just meant that I think the Korg programmers used the Kross 2 combi capability to create the effect, but since it's not an actual user-adjustable combi, there's no way to change it.

Reaction score
Your Kross 2 does not have the additional content.

Your OS is out of date, the current one is v1.2.1

Installing the update then download and install.

These will give additional content including the 30+ extra piano programs which may suit you better.

Reaction score
Interesting. The OASYS-based piano sounds in expansion pack 1 seem to have a bit of a percussive sound to each key, which sounds more natural to me. There's definitely no abrupt addition of a percussive effect at a certain pitch, as in Kross 2 Grand Piano 1 (and most of the other acoustic piano based sounds). I still like the "pure" Grand Piano 1 sound a little more than the OASYS-based ones though. If they could combine the OASYS percussive effect at every key with the Grand Piano 1 sound that would be about perfect. Kind of baffles me that they would choose what seems to be a very artificial method of simulating a percussive effect when they had it right (I assume) years ago when the OASYS came out.

Ask a Question