What should I buy?

Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice on a first keyboard, I am not a player - my interest is in recording my own ideas, purely for personal satisfaction. Currently I am using my grandaughter's Yamaha EZ30 - but I would like to move up, however I find reading retailers advertising confusing, mainly because I don't understand the terminology. I am looking to spend upto US$ 2000 ($2.07 to a British Pound - brilliant!!). Any advice on a good versatile machine would help. Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Hello Neil,

You're budget of 2 grand gives you alot of choices,but I really don't feel it all that appropriate to recommend anything at this particular juncture,as I need more backround on your situation-such as whether or not you want to learn to be a keyboard player at some point & if you want to advance at all?
Do you play another instrument & can you read sheet music,or play by ear?
Also,what level of sound quality do you want?

When I can better determine as to what degree of a musician you are,I would then be more than happy to throw out suggestions to you.

Kind regards,

Elwood

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Elwood makes a good point about more information would help in the decision making process. With that being said, if your budget allows 2000.00, you shouldnt have a problem finding one you would be happy with......the only advice i would give from experience, is take your time....dont be sorry for a purchase made in haste....I've done it...plus keep in mind that you wont be able to "keep up" with the market unless you have as much money as bill gates...LOL!!...because whatever you buy, it will be obsolete in 3 to 6 months....just pray that when that does happen, at least they still support it with firmware updates and manuals as the like.....buying a new keyboard can be frustrating during the process, but well worth it when you get that baby home and fire it up for the first time!!!!.......good luck

Keyplayer

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Elwood and Keyplayer - You both made me think "What am I trying to do here?" I need to think about that. As for musical ability, I play the guitar and banjo at a fairly basic level. I can read music although I can't sight play. I understand chord and key structure basically. I just do this stuff for my own enjoyment (I've got no ambitions to be an aging rock star). Usually I use Cubase SX to get ideas for melodies/riffs etc then I record on to a Yamaha AW4416 workstation - I still don't trust computers - it must be an age thing. I use cubase then only for a drum track. I'll think about DDrums sometime in the future, after I've got somewhere with a keyboard. I am not in ahurry to buy anything until next year when hopefully I will be in the US (Mobile. Ala.) a couple of times.

Regards Neil.S

Reaction score
Neil,

I don't care much for computers myself and in fact,I do all of my recording WITHOUT a computer.

Never could stomach pc's-entirely too complex with compatibility issues & inherant bugs & the like.

Workstation keyboards & hard disk multi-track recorders are clean,efficient & trouble-free recording tools & I will never resort to anything else.

The reason I had asked about your backround,is that reading music,or having a basic,fundamental understanding of it,will give you a great head start with a keyboard workstation and it sounds like you are way ahead of the game & I think you will take to a keyboard workstation very well.:cool:

I am by no means,a concert pianist & I don't even practice playing reguarly-or play live for that matter,as I love creating songs using programming-such as pattern recording & quantizing in real time with my onboard sequencer.

I have the Korg Triton Extreme 88 key-keyboard & it's an uttely amazing & versatile recording tool with lush,full bodied,authentic sounds.

The 61 note key version of this board is still available new,& retails for $1699.00(USD),so this may be a keyboard you might want to consider,if you want to steer away from computer recording.

Cheers,

Elwood

Reaction score
Neil S,

I also have an AW4416 and I love it....I am pretty set in my ways also (age 52) and dont really like to learn new tricks!..But a couple of weeks ago , I bought a Roland Juno G...just for the sequencer...with me having the aw4416, i couldnt justify needing one, but i took the plunge thinking i could use the sequencer as a "scratch pad" for new ideas and the like...BUT...2 weeks later, I still havent used the sequencer yet...with that 16 track sittin right there beside me, i just wont take the time to learn how to use the sequencer....this is a pretty good example of "thinking" you need something, but maybe dont....I know i will learn to use it, but sometimes I wish i had my 1000.00 back...lol!!...oh well, thats why the invented MIDI THRU....just chain um all together and move on!!!......Anyway, just thought i would tell ya about me having the AW4416 and your not alone.

Peace

Keyplayer

Ask a Question