What to carry it all in?

Reaction score
I have a Keyboard stand, laptop stand, clamp, throne, music stand, bag of cords, laptop briefcase, sometimes I have speaker stands and mic stands....

Most drummers use a trap case for all their hardware. What do you carry all that stuff in? If I could fit keyboard stand, throne and music stand in one bag/box I'd save trips to the car and wear and tear on everything these clanky metal things crash into.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Wow! Some keyboard cases have pockets and such for storing accessories and sheet music, but it sounds like you'll need a separate case just for all those stands and other things (throne, briefcase). Maybe you could have a padded bag or case for just the keyboard and its accessories, as well as a trunk big enough to hold both the keyboard in its container plus all the stands and other things? I'm assuming you wouldn't want to just put the keyboard in the trunk as is, unless maybe the trunk has dividers or whatnot so its interior is sectioned off into separate compartments, with a padded compartment specifically for the keyboard. Maybe you could find a basic trunk that's big enough for everything and then trick it out yourself with sturdy dividers and padding?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say unless you want to shell out for a custom fitted case like something from these guys

http://www.keyboardcases.com/contact.htm

or these guys

http://www.roadcasesusa.com/amps-heads-keyboards-mixers-custom-cases/

then your cheapest option is to use an ordinary steamer trunk for the stands and thrones and cables and speakers with a few slabs of foam rubber to keep them from bashing around during transport and a proper TSA case for the keyboards themselves.

It's either $600 for a custom fitted option or else $100 worth of craigslist steamer trunk and foam rubber.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just let those things hang loose in my car. I'm pretty practiced at packing so everything has a place and they don't move around everywhere.

If you're travelling via air or hiring a van to transport your equipment, I think your best bet is a road case(s) custom fitted for all your stuff.

Your music stand, keyboard stand, mic stand, PA stand and throne would all be collapsible, which should make packing efficiently much simpler.

Reaction score
vlcsnap-2016-08-09-02h10m00s144.jpg
Probably not what anyone else wants but I'm kinda proud of this. I needed something semi stationary but to keep dust, and especially mice, out and to not have to remove covers to play something. I made this from a lateral file cabinet. I gutted it and did some minor modification inside and some cosmetic stuff. To make the doors I used the drawer faces, double hinged so they fold to the sides. At the time of this pic I had not yet installed the mini magnets to hold the folded doors to the sides. Though it sits on my scissor stand I felt it was too heavy and I wanted wheels on it so I used a wire rack cut to the right height and with wheels. I was afraid at first it might hinder my playing because of the sides but it hasn't been a problem so far. That's my P-85 piano, Roland JV 1080, 60 watt amp, laptop, etc. Sorry about the crooked pic. It's a video snapshot. There is also a wire shelf near the bottom for the scissor bench.

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Yes "clever" is what I was shooting for. A 54 X 48 metal shell like this could be used to make a road box including a durable rough finish covering, edge trim, and inner cushioning. .

Reaction score
After a bit of head scratching I bought a lighting truss bag from PSSL.com. It is unpadded, huge, durable, cheap.
I put all the misc. stuff in there and zip it up. It turns three trips into one. It bungees onto the top of the jam stand pile. Amp and keyboard in padded gig bag on the bottom because they are rectangular enough to sit flat, then I put that giant black balloon on top and bungee it to the cart. Now I can get from parking lot to stage --through the guts of the hotel service passageways in one trip. In winter or rain that's worth a lot. No more sweating up my stage clothes in the summer.

Reaction score
I have a padded bag for each of my keyboards... I don't put anything in with them cause they do get banged a bit and I don't want a broken board. I use a trunk with wheels to fit everything else I can get in it. I may have to hand carry some stands etc that don't fit in it.

Reaction score
I have a Keyboard stand, laptop stand, clamp, throne, music stand, bag of cords, laptop briefcase, sometimes I have speaker stands and mic stands....

Most drummers use a trap case for all their hardware. What do you carry all that stuff in? If I could fit keyboard stand, throne and music stand in one bag/box I'd save trips to the car and wear and tear on everything these clanky metal things crash into.

AS far as what bag or containers you choose you have to remember that combining all your stuff in one bag will make it too heavy. Therefor choose the containers that best protect your accessories and then, to save trips to the car and/or gig, purchase a "Rock and Roller" cart to transport the stuff from place to car and back. The carts even have an accessory that allows you to use them as a keyboard stand etc.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I have a padded bag for each of my keyboards

My concern with padded bags is if a heavy keyboard would damage the keyboard below it. Have you had this issue? (What's the second heaviest keyboard you've got? The heaviest would be on the bottom.)

EdK

Reaction score
I use hard cases made by SKB https://www.skbcases.com Variety of sizes, shapes, and both TSA and non-TSA rated.

They're not cheap but they work and are built very well and come with a lifetime warranty. If anything breaks on them, they will replace parts or the entire case. I use my gear a lot and the only things that have ever broken were the straps that keep the case closed. SKB sent replacement straps..no-charge.

Keep in mind, TSA cases are going to be heavier and much more expensive. If you don't need TSA, then their non-TSA cases are considerably lighter but still rugged.

Ask a Question