What to learn?

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to playing the keyboard, only about a couple of months, and I just bought a new keyboard, the Casio wk 6600. I was drawn to learning keyboard from classic rock synth and the fact that my drums are too loud to practice most of the time. I'm just not sure what to practice on the keyboard. I can play a few songs and identify many scales and chords. I'm just stuck on what to practice and am also looking for some rock songs with synth parts for beginners. Any suggestions would help, Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome!

This is a hard question to answer as what can be cool to play with a band can sound a bit silly when trying to play solo, and vice versa. But I'll have a go:

Answering from the somewhat tricky criteria of EASY and FUN ROCK songs to play ON SYNTH in a BAND environment, here's a few you could try:

Call Me - Blondie
Just a Girl - No Doubt
Skin Deep - The Stranglers (just posted that in the other thread!)
Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols (predominantly organ but there's a cool synth bass part too)
Pump it Up - Elvis Costello (Ok it's a transistor organ not a synth)
Lonely Boy - The Black Keys (organ as well)
Anything by Bon Jovi - never tried any of those but the keys parts seem pretty easy on a casual listen.

All of the above best enjoyed playing with others or along with the original recording.

Good luck.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to playing the keyboard, only about a couple of months
I can play a few songs and identify many scales and chords. I'm just stuck on what to practice
From what I am reading in the extracts (which I pasted here) of your post, you must have some knowledge of music of some sort. Just a couple of months learning keyboard would hardly get you to a level of playing rock songs with synth parts. I would say you are more advanced and if you can play the tunes as suggested by @CowboyNQ then go for it. But I think it's a tough question to ask us what should I practice since we don't know what style you like or like to play. Rock Synth music can be anything from 60's through to 4 or 5 decades worth.
A big difference between deep purple and ed sheeran.:eek:.
Anyway maybe check out some tutorial books like kenneth baker. They have heaps of tunes to select from. Pick the ones from your preferred genre.
What about @CowboyNQ 's selection? How do they fit into your style?
Cheers ray

Last edited:

Ask a Question