Whats a good stereo di box for keyboards?

Reaction score
Just curious as to any suggestions of a good stereo di for keys going to foh.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you need a DI for keyboards. I've never thought of using one since the signal is so hot that I've not had a problem with noise picked up on long signal runs. It's generally been more of a microphone/guitar thing. But I could very well be wrong, so I'm interested in your reasoning.

I did find this article - http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/live-sound-buying-guides/how-to-choose-the-right-direct-box - which makes the generalization that you'd want a passive DI instead of an active DI. (Since the article mentions DIs for keyboards, obviously you aren't the only one who wants one.)

Reaction score
Well my sound man told me that my signal is way to hot and distorted and he started using a di which brought the signal down and made it more workable. The sound is alot better when using the di.

Reaction score
When playing through PA you should definitely use a DI.

It will convert line level to mic level which will make the sound guy's job easier, it should reduce hum from your rig, and can potentially prevent electrical faults.

A good soundie will provide you with one if you tell him in advance you require it. Nothing wrong with having your own though, drummer and guitarist in one of bands both bring their own, I let the engineer look after me.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Holy crap the price range is wide.

The cheapest I found was from Pyle-Pro, at $14.95. There's a Behringer for $24.99. (I've heard of Behringer.) And then there's the Radial for $149.99.

I probably wouldn't buy the Pyle-Pro since I've never heard of them. But is the Radial really worth six times the price of the Behringer? Or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Fred, the Radial is considered the cat's whiskers, so yes it probably is worth the extra money.

The Behringer you found is the exact same one that I use, BUT I only use it in the rehearsal room. Works fine though.

For gigs I let the sound guy know my requirements in advance and they provide me with theirs to plug into. Mine becomes a spare.

Ask a Question