Whats better?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Lily, look back on some of the older posts - yeah I know the search function doesn't work too well.... oh well....

It get's asked a lot.

Answer: both or neither.

Some people like the Casio as a "value for features" proposition, others see Yamaha as being more "experienced in musical instruments" (while others would claim all Yamahas including motorbikes sound the same).

It really comes down to perosnal preference at the lower end of the market.

At the middle/higher end however, when you start looking at anything over $1,000 Casio don't have any offerings.

Yamaha are a bit unique in that they offer a huge range from the bottom of the PSR-E range to their Motif and Tyros machines.

Roland and Korg only really start at around that $1,000 mark and go up form there.

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Sorry, I should add - each manufacturer has their way of doing things - the way the buttons are laid out, the way the voices and patterns are accessed, quick chords etc - and these are kept relatively consistent through their model range.

So one of the advantages you might find with Yamaha's huge coverage, is that if you started yourself on say a PSR-E333, you might find that if you then jumped onto a $3,000 PSR-S710, you might actually find you pick up the technicalities of it a bit quicker than if you were a dedicated Casio user.

The Y-man

Reaction score
I know naff all about their "consumer" products but when it comes to their professional series synthesizers, Yamaha basically rule the roost as they have a much broader range of products available. However, I still love the old Casio CZ series.
But to be honest, I'm sure this isn't what you were referring to....

Reaction score
From my experience, Casios are the perfect beginner keyboards. Cheap enough to be affordable, but high enough quality to practice on. But, that's about where it ends. Casios aren't something that I would buy to play in front of an audience. But yamahas on the other hand, I've played in front of an audience. Yamaha is no Roland, but I would pick it hands down before a Casio.

Ask a Question