What's the difference between Yamaha Motif and Yamaha MO?

Reaction score
I'm just thinking about buying a Motif. My plan is to buy a modest (61-key) Motif now and in 1 up to 2 years time - when I'll gather more money - look for some expanded (88-key) Roland Fantom.
I was thinking about Yamaha Motif 6 (NOT the ES-6, but the older, 2001 version).
As I was searching through the internet, I saw sth like Yamaha MO-6, which was only a bit more expensive than the standard Motif-6. I've found that MO series is from 2006! Why a guy wants to sell it so cheaply than? Is it an extra chance to buy it for a small amount of money, or maybe MO is worse even than the older Motifs? Can beats be arranged on it just like on a Motif (the track recording etc)?
Please help me to decide... what should I go for? The 2001 Yamaha Motif-6 or Yamaha MO-6?
Peace!

Reaction score
The MO series is a scaled down Motif.

If you want to eventually move to a Roland Fantom though, you should be looking at another Roland keyboard (unless, when you buy the Fantom, you plan on keeping the older one). If the keyboard you want to get now is a transitionary keyboard, why learn one manufacturer's way of doing things to switch down the road?

Reaction score
The MO series is a scaled down Motif.

If you want to eventually move to a Roland Fantom though, you should be looking at another Roland keyboard (unless, when you buy the Fantom, you plan on keeping the older one). If the keyboard you want to get now is a transitionary keyboard, why learn one manufacturer's way of doing things to switch down the road?

I've actually found out, that MO sound is based on Motif ES series, but the machine itself doesn't have a sampler, which in my opinion, is a big disadvantage, that's why I'll probably go for Motif-6.
And yes, I plan to keep the Motif even after buying a Fantom, so I'll have both at home. The point is the price. Here where I come from, the music equipment is extremely expensive, so even an older Roland Fantom costs alot. This is why I'd like to go for the first model of Yamaha Motif, learn it and then discover something else. Having an equipment from some totally different manufacturers might be a pretty 'informative' experience though. ;)
Do u think it's a good idea?

Ask a Question