Where to Start

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am a total novice and I am looking for a guide as to how to learn to play keyboard. I am looking for the steps eg. Learn the keys, then notes... any help will be appreciated as to how I should proceed to learning to play .

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
If it's any help, I've just restarted learning and chose 'Pianoforall'. I did quite a bit of research before choosing this one.
It has its own web site and you can see many, many recommendations for the lessons on youtube.
It costs, at the moment, $39.95, to download, $10 more for a disc.
It consists of 9/10 books in pdf format. The pdfs have video and sound files built into them.
If you have a tablet then there are instructions on the web site to advise you what apps will help you play them.
Robin Hall, the author, is very quick to respond to questions via email.

It takes you from basic principles to about intermediate level.
It covers blues, jazz, ballads and a bit of classics.
I've printed the first book and book nine which deals with practice (scales and arpeggios, etc.)
I've loaded the pdfs into an Android tablet with the app and they play just fine.

I believe it one of the best value courses available.

Reaction score
Playpianotoday.com I believe is also very good for beginners to intermediate. I believe I downloaded the whole course for $30.00 and it covers notes, voicing etc. The founder David Sprunger has since passed, but he is (was) a great teacher and it's all based on learning the chord and note positions rather than reading. I recommend it, though I also need to dig into it more, it's always there for you once downloaded with charts to print out.

Ask a Question