Which active monitors.

Reaction score
With my large and butt ugly Behringers sold I now need a pair of active monitors.

Good sound quality.
Good build.
Very low or inaudible electronics (no mains hum, transformer noise etc).
Good frequency range.
Looks, important that they do not look industrial, more like a bookshelf HiFi setup.
Not to large in size.
Less than £250 for a pair.

Looked at Mackie but to many negative reviews of build quality and units failing.

PreSonus, better reviews but there seems again build quality issues with the worst being mains hum.

What can anyone suggest?
What can you afford?????? (LOL.. thats ALWAYS the first question)
Heres my take on the "Low End"... Perfectly acceptable, defiantly not Cadillacs...
Electr-Voice ZLX.. hands down the BEST bang for the buck. Especially if you get them B-Stock..
Runner up... (and a LOT cheaper.. ALTO Professional (not the consumer stuff). I dont know who makes it (yeah, China like everythign else but).... Their profit margin can't be much). The "professional series boasts 2000 watts peak.. (even in their 8" line. I had some QSC 8" for vocal monitors (and keyboard mains at small gigs). I sold the damn things, bought the Alto's for 1/4 the price.. and am just as happy with them as the QSC (happier actually because of a couple of things I REALLY hated about the QSC's)..

Reaction score
What can you afford?????? (LOL.. thats ALWAYS the first question)
Heres my take on the "Low End"... Perfectly acceptable, defiantly not Cadillacs...
Electr-Voice ZLX.. hands down the BEST bang for the buck. Especially if you get them B-Stock..
Runner up... (and a LOT cheaper.. ALTO Professional (not the consumer stuff). I dont know who makes it (yeah, China like everythign else but).... Their profit margin can't be much). The "professional series boasts 2000 watts peak.. (even in their 8" line. I had some QSC 8" for vocal monitors (and keyboard mains at small gigs). I sold the damn things, bought the Alto's for 1/4 the price.. and am just as happy with them as the QSC (happier actually because of a couple of things I REALLY hated about the QSC's)..

OMG $369 EACH

Did you actually read the requirements?

£250 max so $300 USD per pair.

Must look like furniture, not industrial

It is all moot, as I have bought what I need.

Reaction score
Lets face it, just by the number of replies here, you have lots of good choices. I play my Tyros 5 (home player) through a recently purchased JBL threesome.... JBL 306P MkII, 6.5" monitors, along with a JBL LSR 310S 10" sub. I compared a whole bunch of different monitors (with and without subs) at the music centers and these appealed to me the most. They just sounded so very true to each voice and style being played by the keyboard. It was a "WOW" moment for me. Sometimes when I play, I can't believe how amazing they sound! Anyway, you would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't add these to your list to check out.
Rich

Ask a Question