Which Casio keyboard can be used with iPad?

Reaction score
Dear all,

Could you pls let me know if the cheaper Casio LK-240, or those in the LK range, can work with iPad?

I mean, can I connect the keyboard to the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit, and then record with GarageBand?

Or do I need to buy a more expensive Casio?

My sincere thanks,

Reaction score
Connecting a Casio keyboard to an iPad requires one of the newer keyboards produced in the last 12 to 18 months or so: Privia PX-130, PX-330, PX-730, PX-830, Celviano AP-220, AP-420, AP-620
and portables CTK-2000, CTK-2100, CTK-3000, CTK-4000, CTK-4200, CTK-5000, CTK-6000, CTK-7000, LK-230, LK-240, LK-270, LK-280 and WK-200,WK-225, WK-500, WK-6500 and WK-7500. That is to say,
the keyboard must be a Class Compliant or Core MIDI (Apple) compatible device that DOES NOT REQUIRE a device specific Operating System Driver. For instance, even though the WK-3800 has a "To Host" USB connection,
it is an older unit that DOES REQUIRE an Operating System driver, and any iPad connected to it will only return a "Device not compatible" error message. The new XW-P1 and XW-G1 synths are also iPad compatible, but Casio has actually been advertising them that way.

Reaction score
Connecting a Casio keyboard to an iPad requires one of the newer keyboards produced in the last 12 to 18 months or so: Privia PX-130, PX-330, PX-730, PX-830, Celviano AP-220, AP-420, AP-620
and portables CTK-2000, CTK-2100, CTK-3000, CTK-4000, CTK-4200, CTK-5000, CTK-6000, CTK-7000, LK-230, LK-240, LK-270, LK-280 and WK-200,WK-225, WK-500, WK-6500 and WK-7500. That is to say,
the keyboard must be a Class Compliant or Core MIDI (Apple) compatible device that DOES NOT REQUIRE a device specific Operating System Driver. For instance, even though the WK-3800 has a "To Host" USB connection,
it is an older unit that DOES REQUIRE an Operating System driver, and any iPad connected to it will only return a "Device not compatible" error message. The new XW-P1 and XW-G1 synths are also iPad compatible, but Casio has actually been advertising them that way.
Does this mean that the Casio CDP-220R can't be used with iPad. The model isn't that old and has got an USB to Host-port

Reaction score
Bert

Presence of a USB "To Host" port does not necessarily mean a keyboard is "fully class compliant", which is required for iPad compatibility. If the keyboard requires a special software "driver" to be installed in order to interface it to Windows or MAC-OS, then it is NOT "fully class compliant" and will not work with the iPad, because the iPad has no way of installing the required software "drivers". So how do we know if the CDP-220R requires "drivers" to be installed? If we look in the "Connect a Computer" section of the manual, it will tell us how to download and install any required drivers. I have checked the manual for the CDP-220R and am happy to tell you that there is no mention of downloading and installing any drivers. Basically it just says connect the keyboard to the computer, turn on the computer, turn on the keyboard, start your music software, select Casio-USB as your MIDI input/output device, and you are all set. This tells me that the CDP-220R IS FULLY CLASS COMPLIANT and should work with the iPad. It looks like we will need to add to Mike's list of compatibility as we pick up these stragglers.

Good luck !

Reaction score
Hi Ted,
thanks for the quick response. Your explanation brought me in a very good mood. Now I think I found the keyboard/piano which fulfills all my wishes, at least I hope so. Now I've got to test it in the music store...
regards,
Bert

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm checking on this for a student of mine who has a WK 1630. We were trying to connect to their ipad so they could use Synthesia using a MAudio MIDI to USB adapter to a camera kit, but I wasn't able to get the keyboard to even send any MIDI data (the MIDI in or out LED wouldn't light). If I did a bulk send it would register that MIDI was being sent, but that does us no good since we're not trying to store anything.
I also have a WK 1200 that I've kept in the closet for years, so I took their MIDI to USB cable to test at home. I'm able to connect my 1200 to my computer (mac pro 2007) and it works fine for sending and receiving MIDI so it's not the cable. I tried attaching it to my ipad using my own camera kit (and later supplemented with a powered usb hub in the middle of the chain) and was able to get it to register that I was sending MIDI from the keyboard but couldn't get it to register on the ipad (which I expected to be the case based on the earlier posts on this thread).
I've been going over the manual for the WK 1630 but I haven't found any settings that would prohibit MIDI messages being sent so I'm not sure why it's not sending anything.

Ultimately:
1. Am I right in understanding that it's a moot point since it won't be recognized by their Ipad even if I could get it to send MIDI data since it's definitely at least a couple years old and won't be class compliant?
2. Does anyone know why their WK 1630 isn't sending any MIDI (except when we do a bulk send)? I think they would be open to connecting it to their computer and running Synthesia off of it if it meant it would work.

Thanks much.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While I can't speak as to iPad compatability of the 1630 if I do recall directly when I had my old WK-1600 there was a setting in the menus of the keyboard to enable MIDI out.

Read the manual page E-61 for the settings to turn General MIDI on and how to enable the sending of accompaniment data on all channels simultaneously.

Also make certain that your cables are connected correctly, with MIDI IN connected to MIDI OUT and vice versa.

Reaction score
Hey happyrat,

I tried all of what you said when I was at their home to no avail. I tried changing as many of the MIDI menu settings as I could but still wasn't able to get it to send. I may just need to wait till next week when I go over there again and try what I can in connecting it straight to their computer.

Reaction score
Well this is not good as my Privia PX 320 does not appear to fit the bill; and can't even connect to my Lenovo SL410 because of driver issues. A real bummer as I hoped that I could use it as a keyboard controller. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess I could try to ask Casio.

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All of the modern Casio Models are USB-MIDI Class Compliant meaning any of them should be plug n play compatible with a PC or an iPad.

This includes all of the latest Privia models such as the PX-5S or the XW line or the WK-7000 or WK-7500.

Pretty much anything Casio put out in the past two years should work.

If you really want to be sure, post your question over on http://casiomusicforums.com and Mike Martin, a genuine Casio rep will be able to confirm this stuff.

Reaction score
Bob

So far, all of the manuals I have checked for the Casio units, that I know for certain, are iPad compatible, make no reference to downloading and installing any USB-MIDI drivers, as they are not needed. Those units are compatible with the generic drivers that have been built-in to MAC-OS for the last several versions and Windows since XP Service Pack 2. Sadly, for you, the PX-320 manual gives instructions on Pages 38 and 39 for downloading and installing USB-MIDI drivers. This would indicate that the PX-320, for some reason, is NOT compatible with the generic "built-in" drivers, and therefore is NOT "fully class compliant" and in turn, is NOT iPad compatible (iOS uses the same built-in generic driver as MAC-OS). However, there should be no reason that you can not get the PX-320 to work with your Lenovo. If you are having driver installation issues, you are most likely running into 32-bit vs 64-bit issues. Check the operating system on your Lenovo to see if it is 32 or 64 bit and make certain you are downloading the correct driver (32 or 64 bit) as well as for the correct version of Windows. The bit depth of the drivers MUST match the bit depth of the operating systems. You can not "run" drivers in Compatibility Mode. You can download drivers from: http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

Most Casio keyboards require you to switch manually between 5-pin DIN MIDI mode and USB mode, but the PX-320 switches automatically to USB mode when you connect to a PC running the correct drivers. Page 39 of the manual explains how to check this.

Best of luck with this !

Ask a Question