Which is best keyboard

Reaction score
I'm learning to play the keyboard but I don't know which one to purchase. I would appreciate it very much if someone would enlighten me on the Yamaha psr e403 and casio wk1200, which is the better one to purchase. Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Casio WK-1200 is wider-- 73 keys (6 octaves plus 1) versus 61 keys (5 octaves plus 1).
The Yamaha PSR-E403 has more voices-- 504 versus 200.
The Casio has MIDI In/Out ports, whereas the Yamaha has a USB-MIDI port.

If I didn't already have either one and I were choosing between them for myself, I'd get the PSR-E403.

But I already have a YPT-400 (which is the same as the PSR-E403, just with a different name), so I might consider getting a WK-1200 if one were available at a low price, as it looks interesting, the extra octave is a plus, and MIDI ports are useful for interfacing with other MIDI gear without needing to use a computer as a go-between.

If you're able to try out both of them before buying to see how they sound, I'd recommend doing so to see if you think one sounds notably better than the other.

Reaction score
Thanks for very much for your insightful information. Well, I was on the gumtree website and and came across the two of them. I have no knowledge of keyboard, just started by learning by ear with a friend. The casio wk 1200 cost 75 pounds while the yahama psr cost 65 pounds. Considering the price and I'm learning to play by ear which would be the better option or what is the best other keyboard I should consider. Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Personally, I would still lean toward the PSR-E403, on the basis of its greater number of sounds, and the fact that you can modify the parameters of each preset sound. I'm not familiar with the WK-1200, but it has far fewer sounds, and judging from the manual you can modify sounds in synthesizer mode, but I think that applies to only a certain number of basic waveform sounds as opposed to all of the preset sounds. And while I've never heard a WK-1200, I used to have a Casio CTK-710 and it didn't sound nearly as nice as my YPT-400, so I expect that the PSR-E403 sounds a lot better than the WK-1200.

What the WK-1200 does have is one more octave of keys than the PSR-E403-- they can both play the same range of notes (you can shift octaves as needed), but having that extra octave of keys might make all the difference if you're planning to primarily play piano compositions. Also, I thought the piano sound on my CTK-710 was very good, one of its better sounds. So the WK-1200 might be the better choice to use as a "digital piano."

On the other hand, most portable organs have only 61 keys, and many synthesizers traditionally have fewer than five octaves of keys, so the PSR-E403 would probably be the better choice if you're looking for a more versatile keyboard for playing a wide variety of sounds.

So it really depends on how you plan to use it-- as a piano, or as an organ/synth-- and whether you want to connect it to any other MIDI gear without going through a computer.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Alleyne,
As SeaGtGruff suggested try both out. However, It might be difficult if you buying on gumtree. Why not do some research first at your local music store. Try out the different accompiaments. What is the kind of music you want to play? Pop and rock or latin or house dj . . . Lots of other styles are preset in both the yamaha and casio. Some might be more suited to your kind of music (what you would like to play).
Learning to play by ear! Wow! Good luck with that. Are you going to play like a piano, base notes with the left hand and melody with right hand? If so I would be looking at the one with the extra octave as Seagtgruff suggested. But if you want to play left hand chords and accompiaments, you need to check out all of the styles and options. Take your time resarching. If you miss out on the gumtree ones don't worry. There are heaps of keyboards for sale.
Let's know how you get on!

Reaction score
Hi.

I've already missed out on the yahama psr e 403. After reading seagtGruff response I went on the Gumtree site to contact seller to purchase but unfortunately someone bought it before me. Well, I buying the keyboard it play at church mainly praise and worship and gospel music. I'm also interested in playing reggae style, brass and calypso.

Reaction score
Check out Korg PA600 as well. It's also a perfect fit for pop praise and worship types of songs as well as most modern genres.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The Yamaha has some educational elements built in, which for a beginner may be very useful. (I'd recommend getting a human teacher, but that's not always an option.)

Ask a Question