Which keyboard is best for me?

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for an affordable keyboard that has thick keys and a sustain pedal. I am also looking for one for the default piano sound, and I want it to sound really good like a real piano. I have the Yamaha YPT-230 right now but I want to upgrade to a good keyboard. I would also like one with 76 keys. 88 keys is too big and the ones with only 64 keys or whatever are too small.

I really like the Yamaha P-45 keyboard, except it's too big. If anyone knows of a keyboard like that one, but smaller, I'd appreciate it.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're looking for something that's like the P-45 but with only 76 keys, you might want to check out the P-121:

I'm afraid I know very little about it, other than what's on Yamaha's web site. It has only 73 keys-- not 76-- but it looks like the only current model in the P series that has fewer than 88 keys.

Reaction score
you can choose other than yamaha keyboads like for instance roland and casio or you can also find 76keys keyboads and they are also good.

Reaction score
Yamaha P121 is the only low-cost hammer action board-with-sounds that has 7x keys. In a higher price range but still under $2k, you could look at Korg SV1 or Grandstage, Yamaha CP73, Dexibell S3 or P3. There's also the soundless Studiologic SL73 if you're okay getting your sound from an iOS device or computer.

Reaction score
I like the Yamaha CP73 but I wish I could find something like that that starts on C. Seems like every decent 73 / 76er starts on E and I hate that. I think losing the top 4 keys on a 73 would be worth it to start on C. Anything out there like that? (Korg EX 73 starts on C but only semi-weighted keys and I don't like its piano sounds.)

Reaction score
Casio releases some really nice inexpensive keyboards at the last NAMM show the Casio PS-X1000 and Casio PS-X3000. I would say if you have the space go for a 88 key model. Most the slab keyboards from all manufactures the 88 key versions all have far better keybed than the 76 key versions of the same unit. So if used to playing an acoustic piano the 88 key slabs will be much closer. The quality keybed is drives the prices of slab keyboards.

Reaction score
Bit of an odd one : the Dexibell Vivo S1 has full shaped piano keys, but semi-weighted. Not 61, 73 or 76, but 68 keys. Some of the best piano sounds in the business. Very sturdy, full metal body and loads of great features. Oh, and it starts on 'A' ;)

Reaction score
Never mind. I'm buying it (CP73). Adjusting the octave down, it'll be kinda like a 65 key board starting on C, or like a 68 key board starting on A. Or like a 73 key board starting on...

Reaction score
Before the advent of digital pianos, I gigged with a Fender Rhodes Stage 73 for at least 10 years. I think we generally adapt to the hardware we have available. These days you can get a lightweight 88 key that weighs under 30 pounds and sounds good. Technology is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question