Which Laptop hardware is needed for Cubase with MOXF8

Reaction score
Hi,

Is a HP 14", 128 GB SSD harddisk, i3-7100U CPU, 6 GB DDR4 RAM, sufficient to use with my MOXF8 with CUbase? I found that the pc's with i5-7200U have a somewhat higher CPU benchmark but problems such as a noisy ventilator (ACEr). Weight wise just 1,46 kg. GOod for using on a note sheet holder I think. But is 14" sufficient for music recording and editing?

I record MIDI as well as audio (microphone). Well if recording simultaneously I guess all is audio. I am unexperienced with this stuff: If having midi and audio simultaneously on different tracks is possible??? Always recorded to a USB drive, audio, or to the earlier keyboards as midi songs. Never directly to a pc/CUbase.

iS 128 GB ssd sufficient? I have an external harddisk 1TB. Can get the HP 14" for 500 $ on offer. I guess the 6 GB RAM makes up for the loss in cpu speed as compared to the i5-7200U with just 4 GB RAM as I often see. Right?

TXS
Dino

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dino

Wrong.

Unfortunately your laptop does not meet the current Cubase recommendations which are an i5 or faster with a minimum of 8Gb RAM.

Whilst SSDs are great for reducing boot and general access times it will not take long to get a drive the size you have quoted well filled.

I have an Asus i7 2.4GHz with 8 GB RAM that I use for DAW and also for editing HD video, editing video is far more processor dependant and my laptop has no problems, nor do I have any problems recording audio as it has inbuilt B&O hardware. It has a 1Tb Hard Drive which is partitioned into two equal halves, with personal files, music, images etc not being stored in the same partition as the operating system and programmes, yet despite this my boot partition has 220Gb of operating system and programmes installed.

I suggest you revise which laptops are under consideration to only include those that meet Cubase requirements, 30 years experience in computing always makes me view manufacturers specs as absolute minimums, an update or two to the software and CPU speed and RAM size can quickly become an issue and whilst not a problem with a PC a laptop is difficult to upgrade.

Reaction score
Wow, ok, thanks for this info. I will reconsider, meaning, I need to look for something with the specs you have provided. Good to help each other :) Damn I thought I could be ok like that. It's hard to get something better for under 1000 $

Reaction score
A related question is: Is it better to avoid a dedicated graphic card? It might produce unwanted noise the ventilator. Especially for some of the Acer models this seems a pronounced issue. As far as I understand then a dedicated graphic card relieves the cpu of some working load, hence I guess it's an advantage apart from the noise that might be disturbing to the musicrecording, and generally a nuisance.

Reaction score
Am looking at ...
1) Dell inspiron: i5-6200u, 8 Gb ddr3 Ram 1tb hard hdd, Intel HD Graphics 520 with shared graphics memory
600$. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Touchscreen-Signature-Bluetooth/dp
Pro: Touchscreen,
Cons: No battery to exchange,ddr3 ram

2) Acer Aspire E15: I7-8250u, 256 gb ssd, 8 gb Ram ddr3.Nvidia Mx150, ram and hdd are upgradable. 600 $
Pro: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM. But bad graphics on the defsult graph card.
Con: One has tonlook straight at screen.
Gets hot when gaming.Ddr3 Ram

Please comment. On the surface 2 looks like the better deal.Better cpu, ssd harddrive (though smaller, yet upgradable). 1) cant be upgraded plys no new battery. Someone said it' s from 2015 yet adverticed as 2017.

Reaction score
First I need a laptop, portable and capable tof placing on a holder attached to the keyboard stand somehow.

Regarding the graphics card, though not being a hard core techie, I heard that the cpu will have to pull the graphics card unless there is a dedicated installed with its own Ram.

Thus when talking about speed, not size, it seems a better graphic card might unburden the total Cpu load. However on the downside and from my memory of a dedicated graphics card it might make noise: Ventilator.

My 5 cents

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're not doing a lot of fancy 3D rendering then the overhead on the CPU is minimal. For the normal window manager and effects on board graphics are more than powerful enough.

And personally I use Linux in my home studio so my main audio computer is actually a ten year old Intel Quad Core Q8400.

Then again all my synths are hardware, not software.

Your biggest problem with using windows for MIDI is latency.

Be careful about what crapware you load on it. Use ASIO drivers and get as much RAM as you possibly can. RAM is the determining factor for speed and capacity when it comes to VSTs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The fans are there to help cool the Motherboard, CPU and GPU and you are right many programmes harness the computing power of a GPU to help relieve the main CPU, Games and Video Editing programmes are CPU demanding.

If you use a laptop for audio recording then correct mike and placement the sensitivity of the directional characteristics of the mike should not result in noise being recorded, that said laptops do vary in their impact, best if you can to visit a PC store and listen to a few.

I have an ASUS laptop and simply cannot hear any noise other than a very low hum it not intrusive at all.

The sound you generate from the keyboard if you listen through speakers will more than overpower any laptop noise or at least it should.

Now re your Laptop choices, I would never ever buy a Dell, they are designed and built on a very tight spec and leave a lot to be desired, nor am I a fan of Acer but if you want one then I would go for one of the fastest with at least 8Gb RAM, if you can add as an extra a second hard drive internally and a better GPU then it should last many years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The fans are there to help cool the Motherboard, CPU and GPU and you are right many programmes harness the computing power of a GPU to help relieve the main CPU, Games and Video Editing programmes are CPU demanding.

If you use a laptop for audio recording then correct mike and placement the sensitivity of the directional characteristics of the mike should not result in noise being recorded, that said laptops do vary in their impact, best if you can to visit a PC store and listen to a few.

I have an ASUS laptop and simply cannot hear any noise other than a very low hum it not intrusive at all.

The sound you generate from the keyboard if you listen through speakers will more than overpower any laptop noise or at least it should.

Now re your Laptop choices, I would never ever buy a Dell, they are designed and built on a very tight spec and leave a lot to be desired, nor am I a fan of Acer but if you want one then I would go for one of the fastest with at least 8Gb RAM, if you can add as an extra a second hard drive internally and a better GPU then it should last many years.

On the page where I saw the Dell option,Asus was mentioned as tge 3rd budget option.

Reaction score
I have now made my choice after having spoken with two well informed and pleasant sales people/tech people. One showed to be a musician as well. So I have settled with this choice and please correct me if being wrong which I am rather convinced not after my talks (in Danish so you will unnecessarily expand your international horizon a bit :D):

https://www.merlin.dk/Baerbar/Lenovo-IdeaPad-320-15IKB/2638214

I will extract the essentials for You: 15,6 ", I5-8250U, 6 GB DDR4 RAM (one 4 RAM welted and two RAM installed by the distributor. SAys max 16 optional which relieves me in case: Will hold this info against them just in case ;)), 256 GB SSD, BAcklit (light), Antiglare (funny because I read commentaries from people complaining about the monitor not being son prone, BUT again there are many models of the Ideapad 320 with various specs so...). The rest You can see for yourselves. Price around 800 $.

Please tell me anything about my choice. Be gentle to my impressionist Chopin heart :D
D
:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
From Toms Hardware site which is one of the most respicted Technical site.

Please note the second to last paragraph
Microsoft Defines Standards For 'Highly Secure Windows 10 Devices'
by Lucian Armasu November 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM - Source: Microsoft Docs

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8xLzYvMzQ5OTYyL29yaWdpbmFsL21pY3Jvc29mdGxvZ28ucG5n
In an effort to encourage PC manufacturers to ship more secure Windows 10 computers, as well as to increase demand for such devices from consumers, Microsoft released a set of hardware and firmware standards for secure Windows 10 devices. These security recommendations apply to Windows 10 version 1709, Fall Creators Update.

Hardware Standards
There are six hardware standards that manufacturers should consider when building their new Windows 10 devices.

Processor Generation

Microsoft said that only Intel and AMD processors from generation seven and up comply with its standards, mainly because these chips support the Mode Based Execution Control (MBEC) feature, which is supposed to stop malicious changes to a guest kernel.

This feature may primarily be necessary to strengthen the Windows Defender App Guard security solution, which essentially puts the Edge browser inside a minimal guest Windows 10 operating system to isolate it from the main system.

App Guard is not available to consumers, only to Windows 10 Enterprise users, but it may eventually trickle down regular Windows users, too, as it could significantly beef-up the somewhat lacking Edge browser security.

The list of 7th generation processors includes Intel chips such as: Core i3/i5/i7/i9-7x, Core M3-7xxx, Xeon E3-xxxx, and current Intel Atom, Celeron and Pentium Processors, as well as processors such as the A Series Ax-9xxx, E-Series Ex-9xxx, FX-9xxx.

Process Architecture

Microsoft said that 64-bit support is necessary for secure devices, which includes modern AMD64 (or x64 as they’re sometimes called) processors, as well as ARMv8.2 CPUs.

As we’ve seen in the past, 32-bit architectures offer poor address space layout randomization (ASLR) security, a feature that shouldn’t be lacking from any modern operating system at this point. ASLR is a big hurdle for many attackers because they can’t pinpoint which memory locations to exploit. Microsoft also noted that the 64-bit process architecture is necessary for other virtualization-based security features, too.

Virtualization

The company included a list of features that are required for new Windows 10 computers to support modern virtualization.

Processors must support Input-Output Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) device virtualization and all I/O devices need to be protected by IOMMU/SMMU. The systems must support Intel VT-d, AMD-Vi, or ARM64 SMMUs.

Systems must also support virtual machine extensions with second level address translation (SLAT). That means the systems must have VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), or AMD-V with Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI).

All the virtualization features must be supported in firmware and the OS should be able to use them.

TPM

Systems must have a TPM 2.0 module that is in compliance with the Trustworthy Computing Group (TCG) specifications. Microsoft recommended TPM modules either from Intel or AMD, or from third-party vendors such as STMicroelectronics, Nuvoton, or Infineon (whose TPM was recently found to generate weak cryptographic keys).

Platform Boot Verification

Secure systems must implement cryptographically verified boot solutions, such as Intel Boot Guard in Verified Boot mode, AMD Hardware Verified Boot, or equivalents.

RAM

Microsoft also said that secure systems should have 8GB or more of RAM. This is probably not a security feature per se, but a minimum 8GB of RAM is likely required if you intend to do any kind of virtualization on your system. The more memory there is, the more effective ASLR should be, too, as there are more places in which code can hide from attackers.

What seems to be missing in this category is a requirement for error-correcting code (ECC) RAM, or any other required protection against RowHammer, a dangerous attack vector that puts the vast majority of existing computers at risk. Microsoft should probably update its requirements to include such protection before long.

Reaction score
Meaning that ones laptop is more vulnerable to attack while running for example Cubase, and virtual things such as VST's, if having less than 8 gb ram because the defense requires more memory to keep up with the protection?

Reaction score
I don't do much about antivirus. I always just closed down things when noticing anything and formatted the whole thing and installed an image of my harddisk with all my programs in it. This way no need to fight with such time consuming issues. Anyways antivirus is just a commercial smokescreen meant to earn money. Those who want to target us do so despite of any means to protect ourselves. I heard this from insiders within the antivirus industry.

Better just to have a firewall as far as I recall. Used to sell those to big companies many years ago.

I used the above procedure to clean the pc for 15 years or more with no problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I could also finish off by asking You which one You'd prefer (keeping in mind one of you's anticipation against Dell) ;-)

1) 2018 Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Flagship 15.6 inch Full HD Touchscreen Backlit Keyboard Laptop PC, Intel Core i5-8250U Quad-Core, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, DVD RW, Bluetooth 4.2, WIFI, Windows 10

Full Specs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077T46GLP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1EC41WMQMGYRA&psc=1

2)
Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB
Core i5 8250U / 1.6 GHz, Win 10 Home 64-bit, 6 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 15.6" TN 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), UHD Graphics 620, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, platingrå

Full Specs: https://www.merlin.dk/Baerbar/Lenovo-IdeaPad-320-15IKB/2638214

2) can be upgraded to max 16 GB RAM DDR4.

1) has 1 tb regular harddisk, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, probably not upgradable, and a DVD drive (not burner I think: A stand alone burner/drive costs 30 $).

2) Is from a distributor located in Denmark so close to me. ALso important.

Both are exactly the same price. Same weight.

Tricky or ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question