Which One? Yamaha PSR-290 vs PSR-292 vs PSR-500

Reaction score
I am planning on getting someone a keyboard for a gift. They have experience playing on stage before people with a band, but not in a professional way. However, she needs a keyboard for her home to play on and practice on.

I have a lead on three different keyboards that look alright, all Yamaha, all asking about the same price:

1. PSR-290: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...boards/portable_keyboards/psr-290/?mode=model
2. PSR-292: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...boards/portable_keyboards/psr-292/?mode=model
2. PSR-500: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...yboards/portable_keyboards/psr500/?mode=model

You guys know a whole heck of a lot more about keyboards than I do. Which of these two is the better keyboard? Thanks. I really appreciate your input.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Either the 290 or the 292 are the better of the three.

Even so, these are all ancient models and discontinued almost a decade ago.

If she's used to playing in a band a lot depends on what she plays on stage?

Piano or Organ or Synth style keys? What style of music does she play? It makes a big difference if she plays gospel or industrial or reggae or punk or hip hop or whatever.

Anyway, there are perils involved in buying a used keyboard that old if you don't know what you are looking for and what to look out for.

What's your budget? How serious a musician is she? What style does she play?

All of these questions have to be answered before we can give any serious recommendations.

Gary

Reaction score
Either the 290 or the 292 are the better of the three.

Even so, these are all ancient models and discontinued almost a decade ago.

If she's used to playing in a band a lot depends on what she plays on stage?

Piano or Organ or Synth style keys? What style of music does she play? It makes a big difference if she plays gospel or industrial or reggae or punk or hip hop or whatever.

Anyway, there are perils involved in buying a used keyboard that old if you don't know what you are looking for and what to look out for.

What's your budget? How serious a musician is she? What style does she play?

All of these questions have to be answered before we can give any serious recommendations.

Gary
happyrat:

I believe that she's used to playing a keyboard on stage. She usually plays in a church band, so it would be contemporary church songs. I'm not sure where this would fit, probably into Enya/Coldplay type sounds. We are on a pretty strict budget, looking to come in under $150. It's just something for her to work on at home. When she performs on the weekends, they have a nice keyboard. She's not a serious musician, but plays for leisure and church. She likes to play classical, easy listening kind of stuff. Not hip-hop, reggae, punk or anything like that.

Hopefully this will help. Thanks so much for your willingness to help me out.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I have a PSR-500 - it's my emergency spare, but was my main keyboard for about a year.

The sounds are pretty thin, although it has a nice strings and I like some of the more mellow sounds on it. The drums are actually quite good.

You won't be able to do Enya-esque massive chord/layering because one of the main reasons I had to upgrade is the 28 note polyphony that gets eaten up big time (expecially with some of the nicer backings). I constantly get a "Full" error.... :(

Speaking of rhythm/styles - there's only a few good ones in there, and if you are after 3/4 ..... poxy waltz is almost the only barely useable one...

The Y-man

Ask a Question