Which programs can modify the parameters of a Midi file outside of a project, simply as text or a table ?

Reaction score
Hi, I have projects with Midi tracks that do not allow the Freeze sound function of the synthesizer from a bank that I set. Instead, after the Freeze process is completed, are always is used №22 sound, regardless of which synthesizer or DAW. I suspect some malware has corrupted the all Midi files . For this, please list me all the possible programs that can open a Midi file so that the parameters are well visible and after changing this setting it is replaced with something which means that it is allowed for each sound number.
I opened with text editors - Sublime, Notepad, Atom but what I see is that there is not a single digit 22. There is nothing clear about it. For this, I ask for programs that are geared to open Midi files in this way to see the settings that looks something like a text document or table . In the music project, this is not visible and I cannot in any way remove it from DAW. There is always №22 sound used . And it will be difficult for me to repeat the played notes in all tracks and all projects.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying about number 22, but if it's a Program Change number then the number will be a hexadecimal value, not ASCII text characters.

Are you on Windows? If so, there's a handy free program called MixMaster that can list all of the MIDI events and let you change them: https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Otherwise, many DAWs have a "MIDI event list" view.

One thing to be aware of is that MIDI Program Change numbers can be confusing, because to the computer they are numbered from 0 to 127, but a lot of MIDI hardware and software companies have an unfortunate habit of numbering them from 1 to 128-- that is, they add 1 to the actual value used in the Program Change message. So if your software says that Program 22 is being used, the hexadecimal number inside the Program Change message might be 22 (which is 0x16 in hex) or it might actually be 21 (which is 0x15 in hex).

Either way, a MIDI editor or DAW that includes a MIDI event list view will show you what Program Change number is being used, and will let you change it as desired.

Reaction score
Thank you so much . Yes I'm with Windows. This is not a MIDI channel up to 127, but a Preset in the synthesizer itself. The synthesizer may have a different number of Presets than Lead, Bass. . . . They are not 127 but may be 32 or 28 or 46. I load different synthesizers and with a different Preset, but the # 22 sound (Preset) for the Freeze track always starts.
I'm not sure this will help me if there is a virus or setting to disable any other Preset. I'll open with MixMaster to see. And I'm using Samplitude ProX3. I'll have to go to the Magix Samplitude forum to find out how it's done from there.
Just another question: I see you understand how characters are converted. What should a ban on every other Preset look like? Which characters? And Allowing All Preset? What characters do I need to write in order to be resolvable any preset ?

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
So the synth you're using is Samplitude ProX3?

If it's always using the same preset, another possibility is that the MIDI file doesn't even have a Program Change message in it, such that the (soft?) synth is simply defaulting to its current or default patch.

In any case, it sounds like you need to look up the Program Change values which are used by your synth, so you'll know what to send it to tell it which patch to use.

Reaction score
"In any case, it sounds like you need to look up the Program Change values which are used by your synth, so you'll know what to send it to tell it which patch to use"

What should I do about Program Change values? Isn't it enough that I choose sound # 3 in the synthesizer and Program Change automatically adjust for this Preset if I select the sound number from the synthesizer ?
I choose sound # 3 or # 5 and after the Freeze track the recorded sound is again # 22. Is there anything else I need to set up? Where in which settings? Or is it automatically from the synthesizer as soon as you select sound # 3?

Reaction score
MixMaster showed a message that this file was not exactly Midi or that it could not be opened or corrupted (something in that sense). I may need programs that open the file as a text document or spreadsheet to see if there are any characters that interfere.
I opened with a text editor but everything is confused there and it doesn't make any sense.
But which will open the file understandably I asked for those - Program Change message 22 (which is 0x16 in hex) .
Or if choosing Preset in the synthesizer does not automatically set Program Change message, where do I get it from?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
One thing to beware of is that if you open a non-text file-- that is, a so-called "binary file" in which many of the characters are non-text characters-- you can corrupt the file if you save it afterward, even if you didn't make any intentional changes in it.

Reaction score
Wow this kills all my hopes of opening with a text editor. And because I'm not sure I'll repeat everything if I play it, I think of another way to handle the situation.
I have already tried to clear the malicious element inside if I copy the notes but but he's always there . But if I open a second track under it and create any notes, and with the cursor arrange them exactly below the notes from the upper Midi track, I will get a newly created Midi file the same as the original one, which will not be banned. And first I will delete the top track with a problem and then I will save this as a file. This will be very time consuming but still an option if one does not think of something easier.
Thank you very much for now.
I wish you all health, success and many smiling days

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Right, you have no hope of editing a MIDI file with a text editor without corrupting the file.

The only way you can safely edit a MIDI file is by using a MIDI editor or DAW.

I hope you're able to fix it! :)

Reaction score
Благодаря ти много . Ти си много добър. Проверих всеки файл и установих, че не всеки има този паразитен ефект. Когато ги създадох с Cakewalk Pro 9, използвах функцията "Patch Bank Change", за да променя звуците в една и съща песен. Сега това може да действа паразитно и само на някои песни. Ако това е причината, тогава в кои настройки трябва да отида в DAW, за да коригирам само този параметър и да отменя избрания 22-ри предварително зададен? Винаги отварям Roll Piano, но няма такива опции. Къде може да се редактира това? Може би всеки DAW може да го направи, но вие коя DAW ще ме посъветва, че може да се регулира най-лесно. И с каква функция? Може би изпратете екранна снимка и стъпки, за да стигнете до там.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Благодаря ти много . Ти си много добър. Проверих всеки файл и установих, че не всеки има този паразитен ефект. Когато ги създадох с Cakewalk Pro 9, използвах функцията "Patch Bank Change", за да променя звуците в една и съща песен. Сега това може да действа паразитно и само на някои песни. Ако това е причината, тогава в кои настройки трябва да отида в DAW, за да коригирам само този параметър и да отменя избрания 22-ри предварително зададен? Винаги отварям Roll Piano, но няма такива опции. Къде може да се редактира това? Може би всеки DAW може да го направи, но вие коя DAW ще ме посъветва, че може да се регулира най-лесно. И с каква функция? Може би изпратете екранна снимка и стъпки, за да стигнете до там.

Google translated from Bulgarian...

Thank you very much . You're very good. I checked every file and found that not everyone has this parasitic effect. When I created them with Cakewalk Pro 9, I used the "Patch Bank Change" feature to change the sounds in the same song. Now this can only act parasitically on some songs. If this is the reason, then in what settings should I go to DAW to correct only this parameter and to cancel the 22nd pre-selected one? I always open Roll Piano, but there are no such options. Where can this be edited? Maybe every DAW can do it, but which DAW will advise me that it can be adjusted most easily. And with what function? Maybe send a screenshot and steps to get there.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question