Which stand alone keyboard has the best Orchestral sounds? (Especially for scoring)

Reaction score
In your opinion, what on the market today is the best sounding keyboard (not plug in) for this? I have been leaning towards the MODX 88 key because of what's on board, it's infinite add on sounds thru Yamaha and the price point of under 2K.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Kurzweils have long been a staple of the Musical Theater and excel at orchestral sounds.

Take a look at the Forte, the PC4 or a gently used PC3K.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Looks like I've got some listening to do. Currently, everything I've got is "vintage".
Just took inventory of what's here. I'm ready to dump some of these.
Since I'm new here, I didn't see how to do a profile gear list.

Kurzweil 1200PX module best piano and strings in the rack
Korg M50
Kawai 88 key controller a ridiculously heavy beast
Korg DW 8000 (2)
Alesis QS7 (dead)
Emu Proteus 1 module
Prophet 2000 & 2002 module (dead, both of them)
Yamaha FB-01 module
Roland M-VS-1 module
Roland XV "
Alesis SR-16 (2)
Chickering Medium Grand Piano (from 1928)

VS 2480
VS 1680 (4)
VS 1880

Music Bird

Foreign Music Genres Nerd
Reaction score
Keep the Kurzweil, FB-01, XV, Proteus, SR-16, and M50. Those are all the good ones imo out of those.
If you want brand new I’d say that Korg’s Kross and PA4X are good.
Only thing is, I wish myself the Korg PA-300 was $100-$300 dollars and Roland BK3 was $300-$500. I don’t get why arranger keyboards are so overpriced.
If you wanted an arranger Korg or Yamaha would be good.

Reaction score
I had a Kross 2 and was very happy with the onboard sounds and layering a Combi was very easy and gave very good results. 61 keybed feel is OK, menu system very extensive.

Korg Pa4X is an excellent arranger, arguably better than the newer Yamaha Genos but if $2000 is your budget a Pa4X will blow it into next year.

The Pa1000 is just over $2000 and has great onboard sounds out of the box, for a cheaper alternative and still with excellent sounds check out the Pa700 which should be about $1400.

To throw another keyboard into the mix, one with great sounds and an onboard sequencer way better than the Korg Kross 2 check out a Roland FA, it is an oldie but a goodie especially the 07.

A visit to a well stocked music store when you can will be very useful and what I would suggest is to read up on all the keyboards on your short list.

Ask a Question