Which windows DAW has the most friendly Piano Roll

Reaction score
Brian.

All the paid for DAWs have a trial period before you have to buy the software.

They are not all the same in regard to the ease of setting up so perhaps you are best served by downloading and installing the main ones and see what happens.

Cakewalk by BandLab is free.

Ableton Lite is the one that is probably included free with most MIDI keyboard controllers.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Most piano rolls are pretty much the same from DAW to DAW, although they might vary in the details of some of their functions. Can you give us some idea of which ones you've already looked at, and what you didn't like about them, to give us a better idea of what you're looking for?

I happen to like Acoustica Mixcraft for its overall ease of use, but I think Steinberg Cubase has a more powerful piano roll as far as automation lanes are concerned.

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff,

I am currently using Cakewalk but for some reason really struggle with the Piano Roll on it , cant seem to get a handle on it ?
maybe its just me , maybe I need to find better tutorials on the subject

All the best, Brian

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Do you have much experience with using piano roll editors? I'm wondering if you're having problems with basics which might be helped by a generic tutorial about piano roll editors, or if you're having problems specific to the piano roll editor in Cakewalk?

3dc

Reaction score
From what I can read from other pro users and reviews the best Piano Roll in any DAW is in FL Studio. After many trials of other DAWs including Studio One, Live, Cubase, Pro Tools, I finally bought FL Studio Signature Edition. Its a complete DAW but focused on loop production. Free upgrades for life, simplified and complete production pipeline and tones of plugins, samples and loops for EDM.

These days DAW selection is interesting. You can get Studio One on Rent to Buy in some 20 monthly payments trough Splice.com or if you go trough Presonus Sphere you get everything they got - complete catalog for 15 USD per month. Notion 6 included. I tested this DAW and is right there with Pro Tools if you ask me.
Also if you hurry you can get Cubase Pro 10.5 for the price of Artist version if you activate it until July 28. See the offer here. I didn't take it because they still use dongles for software verification and professional music production is really not my goal.

Here is good piano roll tutorial for FL Studio if interested: Piano Roll
So the choice is yours. My advice is to test as many DAWs as you can and find a good tutorial playlist for you DAW of choice on YouTube.

Here are some links to get you started:

FL Studio
Ableton Live
Studio One
Pro Tools

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff and 3dc,

Thanks for you replies and the information, Basically its finding out what all the short cuts and functions that are available in the DAW in my case currently Cakewalk , I am going to do some serious searching on youtube for tutorials for as much info on using the piano roll in my current DAW , and compare it to other windows DAW`s and see which one would suite me the best,

Brian

Reaction score

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm gratified to see that Acoustica Mixcraft made it into that first article, as it's often overlooked in favor of the more well-known DAWs. :)

Reaction score
Brian,
It depends on the use you need.
I have been a producer of midi files for 25 years and have always worked with cakewalk products.
Cakewalk has always had an easy-to-use Piano Roll, with lots of interesting features.
The evolution to the Sonar line has further improved the Piano Roll and I have been using it every day in my productions.

Ask a Question