While playing a song / melody, Why does my timing of hitting the chords go wrong?

Reaction score
Hello to all the music fraternity, mentors and experts. I am struggling long time now with the problem of playing the chords correctly at the required places while playing any song or melody. I am confident of the chords / melody when played separately, but when I play songs & chords together, if I focus on melody, the chords or their timing go wrong and if I focus on chords, sometimes the melody goes wrong. By chords going wrong, I mean, by the time I look and hit the chords, the required beat / note has already gone ahead. Most of the times, it is the timing that goes wrong(either I tend to miss the timing or play it before the required note. For eg: If I am playing a I – V – vi – IV, I know those chords very well, I also know the melody where that progression fits very well, but when I am trying to put those chords to the melody/song, I simply miss to play (or incorrectly play) the chords at the exact timings/notes as defined in the music notes /sheets. Although, later, I get it then with tons of practice.

While I am all in to work extremely hard to get things right, I am also concerned whether I am putting my efforts in the right place, whether I am putting my huge efforts in the right way of practice? What is the right way to practice together the melody/songs, the chords and primarily "the timing to hit the chords" so that I don't get the above problem? I tried to google this issue a lot but couldn't find a good solution/assurance? what if I keep on practicing tons of songs by simply matching/coordinating the timing, the chords and the melody to eventually get the song right but only to discover later that in the same efforts, I could have done more songs, covered more grounds if I had practiced some other way?

some additional info that may help is I am using yamaha arranger keyboard and use the left side accompaniment section to play the chords & rhythm. Also, to have more space to play, have limited the area to play the chords to left most octave i.e the first octave only. Hence, many a times, i use inversions to play the chords. However, even if I don't use the inversions and don't limit the chords to first octave, the earlier described problem still exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Playing along to an auto accompaniment can be tricky, since auto accompaniments have robotic and unforgiving timing. As with any other kind of playing, it takes a lot of practice, practice, practice.

One possible solution that would let you focus on your part of the performance instead of having to divide your attention between the auto accompaniment and your part would be to record yourself controlling the auto accompaniment-- that is, playing the chords that control it as well as the section changes (Main A, Fill A->B, Main B, Fill B->A, etc.). Then you can play back the recording and play along to it, such that you can use both hands to play your part of the performance while the auto accompaniment essentially "plays itself."

However, that might depend on which particular model you have, since some models might not have that capability.

It might also depend on whether you're playing for yourself or are practicing keyboard lessons for an instructor.

Reaction score
I think that the problem lies in your Brain, I am not being critical it is just the way it is wired.

Mine is or rather was exactly the same, and it is down to neural pathways not existing for independent hand action.

Practice does improve this independent hand action which in turn stimulates the formation of new neural pathways.

Seek out exercises that force you to play with two hands and different timings, stick with them and in time your playing will improve.

Ideally there will be a batch of different exercises that you run through and regularly mix up so it is the pathways that develop instead of muscle memory.

Perhaps also seeking out an online Tutor who can offer guidance to what you are doing via a Live Video Lesson.

Also try learning a host of new songs, start off playing slow (perhaps with no accompaniment you just play the chords), then build up speed, only practice the song for a few minutes then move on to the next song.

There are Apps like Flowkey and Skoove where you play along to a moving score and the App waits until you play the right notes at the right time, you may want to check out these type of subscription based aids.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Playing With "Auto Acmp" as gruff says is tricky. It won't stop and wait 'til you catch up. It is demanding that you keep up. It Is like a drill seargent.

I have the same proplem @pw_bodhi . If I concentrate on playing the right chord at the right time, I sometimes lose my place or hit a wrong key with the melody.
If I concetrate on the melody, I miss my timing on the chord change.
But more often the chord change can still sound okay even if a beat or two too late.
I personally concentrate on getting the melody right and let the finger memory do its job on the chords.
Still making mistakes but getting better every day. Just consistent play and repetitive play is my suggestion .

But don't stress over it. Enjoy it! If a certain phase is troublesome, move on to something else for a while and go back to that troublesome part later with a fresher mind. This will work with practise.
Cheers Ray

Last edited:
Reaction score
Playing along to an auto accompaniment can be tricky, since auto accompaniments have robotic and unforgiving timing. As with any other kind of playing, it takes a lot of practice, practice, practice.

One possible solution that would let you focus on your part of the performance instead of having to divide your attention between the auto accompaniment and your part would be to record yourself controlling the auto accompaniment-- that is, playing the chords that control it as well as the section changes (Main A, Fill A->B, Main B, Fill B->A, etc.). Then you can play back the recording and play along to it, such that you can use both hands to play your part of the performance while the auto accompaniment essentially "plays itself."

However, that might depend on which particular model you have, since some models might not have that capability.

It might also depend on whether you're playing for yourself or are practicing keyboard lessons for an instructor.
Thank you @SeaGtGruff ...Yes I have SX900 and the chord looper function is there into it, but I wanted to refrain from using it and get used to playing chords with left in the auto-accompaniment. Is there a good way to practice that?

Reaction score
I think that the problem lies in your Brain, I am not being critical it is just the way it is wired.

Mine is or rather was exactly the same, and it is down to neural pathways not existing for independent hand action.

Practice does improve this independent hand action which in turn stimulates the formation of new neural pathways.

Seek out exercises that force you to play with two hands and different timings, stick with them and in time your playing will improve.

Ideally there will be a batch of different exercises that you run through and regularly mix up so it is the pathways that develop instead of muscle memory.

Perhaps also seeking out an online Tutor who can offer guidance to what you are doing via a Live Video Lesson.

Also try learning a host of new songs, start off playing slow (perhaps with no accompaniment you just play the chords), then build up speed, only practice the song for a few minutes then move on to the next song.

There are Apps like Flowkey and Skoove where you play along to a moving score and the App waits until you play the right notes at the right time, you may want to check out these type of subscription based aids.
Thank you @Biggles . The exercises (lot of finger exercises, scale exercises, modal scales, chord exercises and inversions) I have started doing daily. The app idea is wonderful. Let me get hold of them. Any technique to correct the timing of chord playing?

Reaction score
Playing With "Auto Acmp" as gruff says is tricky. It won't stop and wait 'til you catch up. It is demanding that you keep up. It Is like a drill seargent.

I have the same proplem @pw_bodhi . If I concentrate on playing the right chord at the right time, I sometimes lose my place or hit a wrong key with the melody.
If I concetrate on the melody, I miss my timing on the chord change.
But more often the chord change can still sound okay even if a beat or two too late.
I personally concentrate on getting the melody right and let the finger memory do its job on the chords.
Still making mistakes but getting better every day. Just consistent play and repetitive play is my suggestion .

But don't stress over it. Enjoy it! If a certain phase is troublesome, move on to something else for a while and go back to that troublesome part later with a fresher mind. This will work with practise.
Cheers Ray
great. Its feeling good to know that is how I am doing now(I mean letting a chord or two miss, if I can't hit on the right time). but my heart bites me when I miss it, I know internally that I missed it. I m sure, many in the audience will also catch that. How should I practice to prevent that (other than practicing million times, yes I am doing that. I must ensure that there is no better way than doing what I am currently doing) Thankyou @Rayblewit

Reaction score
You're trying to do too much, too fast:

. . . . SLOW DOWN !!!!

Run a metronome (or click) at a tempo that you can finger the chords _error-free_, left hand only. Correct notes, and correct timing, both. Don't think about "playing the song", it'll be too slow for that, probably.

. . . then _gradually_ speed up. If you start making errors, slow down again.

Then add the RH melody. If you get errors in the chords (notes OR timing), SLOW DOWN until you can play hands-together _error-free_.

Then _gradually_ increase the tempo. If you start making errors, SLOW DOWN to a tempo you can handle.

This will build correct neural pathways. Otherwise, you are practicing your mistakes.

There is a "two-bowl practice technique" that you might find useful.

. . . Take two bowls, put five beans in the left-hand bowl.

. . . Every correct repetition, move one bean into the right-hand bowl.

. . . Every mistake, move _all_ the beans back to the left-hand bowl, and start over.

. . . When the left-hand bowl is empty, move on to practicing something else.

A professional might work with 10 beans, but that is _very_ frustrating for an amateur.

. Charles

PS -- Biggles is right, exercises will help you develop skill, in playing patterns that you will need for music. You should do them slowly enough, so that they're _perfect_.

Reaction score
You're trying to do too much, too fast:

. . . . SLOW DOWN !!!!

Run a metronome (or click) at a tempo that you can finger the chords _error-free_, left hand only. Correct notes, and correct timing, both. Don't think about "playing the song", it'll be too slow for that, probably.

. . . then _gradually_ speed up. If you start making errors, slow down again.

Then add the RH melody. If you get errors in the chords (notes OR timing), SLOW DOWN until you can play hands-together _error-free_.

Then _gradually_ increase the tempo. If you start making errors, SLOW DOWN to a tempo you can handle.

This will build correct neural pathways. Otherwise, you are practicing your mistakes.

There is a "two-bowl practice technique" that you might find useful.

. . . Take two bowls, put five beans in the left-hand bowl.

. . . Every correct repetition, move one bean into the right-hand bowl.

. . . Every mistake, move _all_ the beans back to the left-hand bowl, and start over.

. . . When the left-hand bowl is empty, move on to practicing something else.

A professional might work with 10 beans, but that is _very_ frustrating for an amateur.

. Charles

PS -- Biggles is right, exercises will help you develop skill, in playing patterns that you will need for music. You should do them slowly enough, so that they're _perfect_.
Just tried this approach. It clicked. A piece that i was trying to get correctly from long time, i practiced it slow.. Real slow, even without tempo before beginning with slow tempo, then with slow tempo and then normal. Ended up playing that piece more than 30 times.. But then in the end got it... Good and happy about it... How will i improve at it gradually taking lesser time in future? What should be my Practice methodand what should be my routine? Your advice really helped.. Hoping you would guide me further on this too...

Reaction score
Just tried this approach. It clicked. A piece that i was trying to get correctly from long time, i practiced it slow.. Real slow, even without tempo before beginning with slow tempo, then with slow tempo and then normal. Ended up playing that piece more than 30 times.. But then in the end got it... Good and happy about it... How will i improve at it gradually taking lesser time in future? What should be my Practice methodand what should be my routine? Your advice really helped.. Hoping you would guide me further on this too...

This is your muscle memory coming into action.

Don’t forget the exercises by getting hung up on learning a complete song.

The exercises will build your technique and hence learning a song will speed up

Reaction score
This is your muscle memory coming into action.

Don’t forget the exercises by getting hung up on learning a complete song.

The exercises will build your technique and hence learning a song will speed up
absolutely. thankyou. I have set aside time for exercises in my routine. What should my routine look like?

Reaction score
That is a difficult one to answer, it is what will work for you but for me this is soft of my typical routine.

Warm up
I simply noodle around, improvising. Single and multiple notes, chords left hand, then left hand bass riffs whilst chords in right hand.

Practice
I will improvise a Blues in a specific scale with A minor being my favourite.

I do this for about five minutes or until my arthritic fingers start to loosen up, usually it sounds terrible but that is not the point.

Then it is on to the song I am learning which is currently John Lennon’s Imagine, which is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. It is fairly easy and repetitive so good finger workout. I will sing along as I play it as I am playing backing and not the melody line and this further gives the brain a workout as both hands are doing different tasks and singing adds a third action.

Then it is scales and I will only do one per day. So for C left hand will play in sync with right going up and down a few times. Then I will play C and octave, D and Octave, E and Octave etc with left whilst place the scale right handed, then swap over.

Visualisation
The. It is out with a book of songs and I open it at random, I read through the score and visualise the notes and chords, I imaging playing the piece. After I have thought about it and done my visualising thing I play it, but very slowly, concentrating on accuracy. I will play it no more than three times as my goal is to increase my sight reading skills rather than my motor skills. Today it has been Rock Around The Clock and instead of simply playing chords left handed I have the keyboard split with piano right and Bass guitar left and play Bass riff in a bar such as Root 3rd 5th 4th, then before a chord change the 4th becomes the 4th of the next chord so it becomes a walking Bass line.

Free play
I play one of my songs from my repertoire or choose one I am learning and play it. Choose another and play that.

All that took my 15 minutes, it is my second session on my digital piano so far today and since I am retired I have no time constraints and expect to have another two sessions today.

So that is what works for me, sometimes I do more sometimes less, the thing for me is it is flexible and adaptive.

I sold my Arranger and Synth a few months ago and only have a simple DP but remember the limitations and advantages of an Arranger well. Try to remember that in ACMP mode playing the chord with your left is a trigger, and you should not necessarily keep the keys depressed, your left had becomes free to operate the Pads, change the Var, change the Registration, or bend the Mod wheel. You can use the start slow routine in song learning by slowing the tempo right down in ACMP mode and build up, it is a process that works effectively.

Good luck developing your own routine

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Jeepers! Col!
Such dedication, disipline and routine. I envy that.

Mine is just noodle first before playing tunes.
When I noodle, a cool souding riff will often emerge and the I am hooked to develop it further.
Scales and theory are sunk! lol.

Reaction score
Ray

As it is I am on a mission with the DP to develop my piano playing skills.

I have until semi fixed date next year to i prove to the standard I have set myself and I need to (and I know I am going to get stick from Paul and Gary over this next bit) self discipline myself to make it happen.

Hence the structured approach.

I have a new respect for Sting, since my playing the Bass line on my DP of Every Breath You Take sucks, it is pretty easy on my Fender Jazz Bass, but on keys its a stretch.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have until semi fixed date next year to i prove to the standard I have set myself and I need to (and I know I am going to get stick from Paul and Gary over this next bit) self discipline myself to make it happen.

Say my name THRICE, and (CRACK!!!) I appear in a puff of smoke and a flash of lightning!!! :D :D :D

Seriously man. it takes all kinds to make a world. If it gives you joy to chase arbitrary deadlines who am I to deny you your hobbies and affectations? :)

Personally I tend not to think whether or not I'm doing it the correct way at all. I just let my spirit flow though my fingers and if it sounds right I release it. I have no doubt that most people may think it's all just noise but I really don't care, because to ME it sounds OK. ;)

Peace out brother :cool:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The important thing is to do whatever works for you. If that's a bit of self-flagellation - go for it my friend! We're all motivated by different things.

Reaction score
What should my routine look like?
As Col said, there's no one "right" way, thought I'd offer what I do as well to see if it is of any help to you.

1. Warm up - usually a few scales. When I was more of a beginner, I had a fairly structured approach to scales and would do two octaves of all majors and relative minors in parallel and contrary motion. These days I just noodle around for a while with whatever scales I feel like until I don't want to do it any more.

2. Warm up part 2 - play a tune for fun. Something I already know just for enjoyment or to keep my "hand in".

3. Song list - I will have a set list of songs I want to get through. They'll either be new ones I'm learning, or ones I want to polish up because I haven't done them for a while. I try not to spend more than 20 minutes on any one song, unless it's REALLY new.

4. Finish - I try to spend somewhere between 45 - 90 minutes practicing. Any longer than that and I start to become mentally fatigued.

Edit: I should add that I also vary my practice between my piano and my 61-key unweighted keyboard. So for example - one day I might play on my piano and the next day on my unweighted. I find this helps me adjust easily to the ergonomics of the different actions. I find the unweighted keyboard much harder to play accurately on if I don't practice on it regularly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is a difficult one to answer, it is what will work for you but for me this is soft of my typical routine.

Warm up
I simply noodle around, improvising. Single and multiple notes, chords left hand, then left hand bass riffs whilst chords in right hand.

Practice
I will improvise a Blues in a specific scale with A minor being my favourite.

I do this for about five minutes or until my arthritic fingers start to loosen up, usually it sounds terrible but that is not the point.

Then it is on to the song I am learning which is currently John Lennon’s Imagine, which is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. It is fairly easy and repetitive so good finger workout. I will sing along as I play it as I am playing backing and not the melody line and this further gives the brain a workout as both hands are doing different tasks and singing adds a third action.

Then it is scales and I will only do one per day. So for C left hand will play in sync with right going up and down a few times. Then I will play C and octave, D and Octave, E and Octave etc with left whilst place the scale right handed, then swap over.

Visualisation
The. It is out with a book of songs and I open it at random, I read through the score and visualise the notes and chords, I imaging playing the piece. After I have thought about it and done my visualising thing I play it, but very slowly, concentrating on accuracy. I will play it no more than three times as my goal is to increase my sight reading skills rather than my motor skills. Today it has been Rock Around The Clock and instead of simply playing chords left handed I have the keyboard split with piano right and Bass guitar left and play Bass riff in a bar such as Root 3rd 5th 4th, then before a chord change the 4th becomes the 4th of the next chord so it becomes a walking Bass line.

Free play
I play one of my songs from my repertoire or choose one I am learning and play it. Choose another and play that.

All that took my 15 minutes, it is my second session on my digital piano so far today and since I am retired I have no time constraints and expect to have another two sessions today.

So that is what works for me, sometimes I do more sometimes less, the thing for me is it is flexible and adaptive.

I sold my Arranger and Synth a few months ago and only have a simple DP but remember the limitations and advantages of an Arranger well. Try to remember that in ACMP mode playing the chord with your left is a trigger, and you should not necessarily keep the keys depressed, your left had becomes free to operate the Pads, change the Var, change the Registration, or bend the Mod wheel. You can use the start slow routine in song learning by slowing the tempo right down in ACMP mode and build up, it is a process that works effectively.

Good luck developing your own routine
thankyou. that's an awesome advice. my goal is to play by ear and one day compose my own songs. Here is the routine I am following myself as of now. I would be obliged by your review as well as reviews from all the mentors here. I stick to it as much as possible. Please suggest I something needs to change or removed or modified
  • Day 1
    • All 24 major & minor scales WITH / WITHOUT SEEING
    • Songs Practice (Any 2 songs perfectly)
    • Optional if time permits - Ear Training on Scales
  • Day 2
    • Ear training using any 6 scales and chords for any 6 scales (I practice all the intervals in these scales, all the relatives of that scale for Eg..if C scale is selected, then i will practice Cmaj with its chords, Cmin with its chords, relative scales and chords of C and the intervals in that scale
    • Optional if time permits - Songs Practice
  • Day 3
    • Modal scales of any 2 keys and its chords
    • Alankar Practice (practice 20 Alankars )- (Alankars are nothing but note patterns in Indian music)
    • Songs Practice
  • Day 4
    • Repeat Day 1
  • Day 5
    • Repeat Day 2
  • Day 6
    • Repeat Day 3
  • Day 7
    • Songs Practice (1new song seg on previous day and all old songs that you had done earlier

Ask a Question