Why does S90ES -> any speakers sound like poop?

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere....

I am trying to figure out a way to amplify my Yamaha S90ES and have it sound reasonable. I'm sure I'm just a complete idiot here about it, but I can't figure out why plugging the keyboard into an amp or computer speakers via either the phones or line out sounds like utter garbage and distorts like crazy. The unit sounds fine with headphones in the phones jack. I'm guessing it has something to do with instrument level vs line level or something but I am just an amateur when it comes to audio and recording.

What do I have to do to be able to play this synth through an amp or speakers without having it totally distort as soon as the volume gets above about quiet conversation level??

Do I potentially have a problem and need repair?

Thanks a ton!

Reaction score
If the keyboard works fine with headphones - then the headphones output is just fine.

Try connecting a regular set of PC 2.1 speakers into the headhpones line.

If you have a crappy set of speakers then it's normal for them to distort - even at low volume settings.

Also - what about connecting your keyboard to a big amp system? Like while playing in a band - when you use your R/L outputs. Does it sound distorted then too? It realy shouldn't.

Reaction score
When I connect some decent PC 2.1 speakers to the headphone jack it distorts badly when I raise the volume beyond a very low level....this is exactly the problem. I have used a nice set of Logitech, an older but still nice set of Yamaha 75w and both do the same thing regardless of using headphone jack or the mono line out... the piano patch sounds like its running through a fuzz pedal :p

Reaction score
Very strange - there realy is no reason for the keyboard to work good with headphones and distort with a PC speaker system (while using the same output).

Is there any way for you to record what you're doing exactly?

Reaction score
Are you looking for a recording of how it sounds via computer speakers or a video demonstrating how I'm connecting things?

Very strange - there realy is no reason for the keyboard to work good with headphones and distort with a PC speaker system (while using the same output).

Is there any way for you to record what you're doing exactly?

Reaction score
Anybody else have this issue?

I've had this same problem with my CP33. It sounds great on headphones, but sounds mildly distorted at moderate sound levels on computer speakers (connected either to the headphone port OR the L/R jacks). It also was a pain trying to get it to record to the line in of a macbook pro without exhibiting the same distorted sounds (though not actually peaking on the recording).

I want to get some decent studio monitors for it, thinking those would sound better, but don't want to waste the money if it's gonna do the same thing.

Reaction score
First - this is an OLD THREAD

(OLD THREAD - post before this is a new one.)

Hello Inex - sometimes better to start your own thread. That's a good bit of kit you have. It should sound great through a little full range system.

Cheapest - maybe a couple of little Edirol monitors or something from the M-Audio range.

I have a pair of Roland CM-30s set up for home monitoring.

If you are looking at studio monitors - active is less fiddley - you could ask over at Gearslutz.com. My tuppence worth would be a pair of Tannoy Reveal 5As. Not a new model and you see them 2nd hand.

Good luck bargan hunting. That keyboard will shine through a better setup.

Reaction score
I recently borrowed a friend's keyboard amp and the synth sounded great even at volume. Must be that the computer speakers or maybe the cables or adapters couldn't handle the signal?

Reaction score
I recently borrowed a friend's keyboard amp and the synth sounded great even at volume. Must be that the computer speakers or maybe the cables or adapters couldn't handle the signal?

The little computer speakers will struggle to reproduce the lower frequencies. Very unlikely to be the cable/adapter - unless they're actually faulty in some way.

Ask a Question