Why is a vast majority of electronic music just noise?

Reaction score
The one thing i noticed is that a lot of electronic music is just noise. From the early days of magnetic tape, through modular synthesizers and early computers. Wendy Carlos is one of the few electronic musicians to play actual music on a modular synthesizer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Funny. I feel the same way about Italian Opera :p :p :p

It's excruciating noise to me. :p

Gary ;)

Great synth players?

Keith Emerson
Rick Wakeman
Tangerine Dream
Devo
PFM
Sensations Fix
Erik Norlander
Hiromi Uehara
Spooky Tooth
Alan Parsons
John Tout
(with apologies to the dozens I've missed)
:D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think I answered you perfectly.

One man's music is another man's noise.

Otherwise your question amounts to "Why doesn't everyone like what I think is good and hate what I think is bad?" :p

Musical taste is as individual as a fingerprint and it's the zenith of hubris to assume that everyone likes what you like.

Or are you simply looking for someone to jump in and agree with you?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think I answered you perfectly.

One man's music is another man's noise.

Otherwise your question amounts to "Why doesn't everyone like what I think is good and hate what I think is bad?" :p

Musical taste is as individual as a fingerprint and it's the zenith of hubris to assume that everyone likes what you like.

Or are you simply looking for someone to jump in and agree with you?

Gary ;)
Fair enough!

Reaction score
What is junk?

1) Rap (I would not even class ir as music)

and

2) The repetitive thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump of the dance genre if that is what it is supposed to me.

Reaction score
The one thing i noticed is that a lot of electronic music is just noise. From the early days of magnetic tape, through modular synthesizers and early computers. Wendy Carlos is one of the few electronic musicians to play actual music on a modular synthesizer.
Well, I shouldn’t be too hypocritical, as I have made noise too. After all I do own a Tasty Chips SAWBENCH. After all i have posted some bizarre stuff on here.

Reaction score
Anything audible in the range of 15Hz-20KHz can be defined as music by it's creator. Whether you agree with this definition is your call. Bleeps and squorgles (my description of the pure electronic forms that don't attempt traditional forms of development) can be irritating, fun, annoying and/or just noise. I loved Silver Apples but even more I loved Isao Tomita's takes on tradition - the music, every note- expressed on non-programmable, analog Moog 15s and tape - wow! I learned on an early Buchla protoaype at Mills College (the Moog cost twice as much to rent) so experimenting was encouraged. (Then FM turned it all into lower-case metallica for a decade.) But to me, Tomita did it right. Pat Gleeson at Different Fur also did some emulation albums, but just that - emulating the instruments and staying straight to the score. He also sold me my first Odyssey and 2600. Clark Spangler comes to mind, he and Pat did a Streisand album, Pat told me he just showed up with his 2600, they each picked a line on the score, Clark used his Moog rig and Pat played his 2600. They just went through the score.
Then they got good enough to stay in tune, and we have the Prog Rock and Mahavisihnu eras. That's fun...

Reaction score
Actually, what I meant too say was? People who buy modular synths, and don’t really create music, with melody and harmony. But, just make noise by connecting modules together and see what comes out?

No offense to Morton Subutnik, but I just can’t get into Silver Apples of the Moon.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's Acoustic Noise, prepared piano by John Cage, arguably one of the great composers of the 20th century.

And while we're at it, how about a little Anton Webern or Arnold Schoenberg for good measure.

Providing an electronic composition composed by a rudimentary AI program is a poor example for your argument.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Here's Acoustic Noise, prepared piano by John Cage, arguably one of the great composers of the 20th century.

And while we're at it, how about a little Anton Webern or Arnold Schoenberg for good measure.

Providing an electronic composition composed by a rudimentary AI program is a poor example for your argument.

Gary ;)
Okay! I surrender! ;) I guess one man’s or woman‘s noise, is another man’s or woman’s musical composition

Ask a Question