Why is a vast majority of electronic music just noise?

Reaction score
The problem with modern music is, many tracks use Autotune and the mix reaches 0 db sometimes even louder to +2 dB
My impression is: Any music till 1988 is goodbut after that a pain in the ass.

Reaction score
This is electronic music.

Is it "noise?"

To chime in here, yes and no.

He is very tallented in himself.

It is the repetitive loops of electronic music that personally I find very boring nudging onto being very annoying.

I have seen Rick Wakemen many times and he is far from boring.

Yet David Gilmour with his PF riffs that go on and on and on and on and on can be very, very boring (sorry Cowboy) and that is hardly electronic.

The Police, not electronic yet repetitive three line lyrics in their songs, boring.

Pet Shop Boys, totally electronic but very far from boring

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I enjoy chill out music and meditation/relaxation music very much.

A lot depends on your mood and circumstances at the time.

I wouldn't go to a Stones concert expecting to hear Brahms' Lullaby just like I wouldn't want to drift off to sleep listening to Def Leppard.

Often a favorite tune is associated with a pleasant memory of an event in one's past.

The upshot is that music is usually a very personal experience and is neither good nor bad in and of itself.

Different strokes for different folks Col :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Personally I enjoy chill out music and meditation/relaxation music very much.

A lot depends on your mood and circumstances at the time.

I wouldn't go to a Stones concert expecting to hear Brahms' Lullaby just like I wouldn't want to drift off to sleep listening to Def Leppard.

Often a favorite tune is associated with a pleasant memory of an event in one's past.

The upshot is that music is usually a very personal experience and is neither good nor bad in and of itself.

Different strokes for different folks Col :)

Gary ;)

& it is a good job too.

Otherwise we would be stuck with some boring genre of popular music that would in turn make Italian Opera the pinnacle of the musical world.

On of the best concerts we have been to, Jose Carreras & Katherine Jenkins.

There again a great Ballet is a joy to watch and see, Matthew Bourne’s all male version of Swan Lake, visually outstanding.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Yet David Gilmour with his PF riffs that go on and on and on and on and on can be very, very boring (sorry Cowboy) and that is hardly electronic.
I believe the very long intro's of PF and the guitar riffs and fills are exciting. Some of the special effects are electronic based and undoubtedly unique. This is what makes music thrilling. Especially PF music is very special. No two PF songs are alike. The vast different arrangements and sounds are far from boring Col.
I am a huge Jethro Tull fan too and seen them live a few times. Their music is thrilling too. Nothing like the modern day tedious, dull repetition which most young people today have to endure. I feel sorry for them. Give me Itallian opera over Take That or Ed Sherin any day.
Most prog rock music from the seventies is my favourite genre.
"Dare to be different" is why I likes :) the likes of Tull, ELP, Yes, Hendrix, Cream etc. .

Footnote: BTW. . Cowboy's live band "Echoes of Pink Floyd" gives me tingles and the goose bump shivers. It is unbelievably world class. I wished I'd seen Gilmour and Waters live however I am lucky to have on my doorstep the next best.

Honestly, if I had a choice of seeing Tull or EOPF, I would choose the latter.

R

Last edited:
Reaction score
To chime in here, yes and no.

He is very tallented in himself.

It is the repetitive loops of electronic music that personally I find very boring nudging onto being very annoying.

I have seen Rick Wakemen many times and he is far from boring.

The Police, not electronic yet repetitive three line lyrics in their songs, boring.

Pet Shop Boys, totally electronic but very far from boring
I'd have to call this music made with electronics more than 'electronic music.' Very talented and thought out looping. But whatever label the listener - or the artist - puts on it does not change one note or one beat of the performance.

Reaction score
If you want to see and hear the very worst in modern so called music.

Eurovision

It is being broadcast live now from Liverpool who are hosting on behalf of last years winners Ukraine.

US folk can watch it on Peacock

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want to see and hear the very worst in modern so called music.

Eurovision

It is being broadcast live now from Liverpool who are hosting on behalf of last years winners Ukraine.

US folk can watch it on Peacock

Again... Very ethnic.

You are a victim of your own bias.

Just like everyone else :p

:D

Reaction score
Okay, so about Microtonal music. Thoughts?
I syudied sarod under Ustad Ali Akbar Khan for several years. Their use of microtones is quite specific and unique to the raga process. Electronic microtonal forays are a bit above my pay grade, I fear. If I don't hear the reason for the alteration (I don't know if I can explain that phrase, but that's how it comes out,) it doesn't twig my emotional response beyond, "out of tune." But that's me, not the music. A willing victim to my own bias until I hear something that expands my sonic palette (if I can't USE it, I prefer to lose it.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a more plebian usage of microtones exists in everyday synth music, as the detuning of oscillators is a major feature of synth drones and layers.

Ask a Question