Will be offline

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm going to be (probably) away from my computer for the next several days. My original plans were to travel to Maryland on Friday for an internment for my mother-in-law, father-in-law, and aunt-in-law. (OK, I'm not sure what the correct term is for my wife's aunt.) They've all died during the last several years and are now going to be buried.

Then the following happened:
upload_2016-10-5_11-27-27.png

If you see the M (for major) for 8 AM Friday, I live maybe 50 miles to the north west from that circle. Needless to say, plans have changed.

We're going to try to fly up on Thursday, assuming that the winds aren't so strong the flight is cancelled. If the flight is cancelled, all bets are off for the weekend.

At any rate, this means I probably won't be able to annoy people with posts on the forum, since I'll either be away from home or I'll be at home in the dark as we lose electricity for a while. (Last time we had a category 1 hurricane, we lost power for about two weeks. The most important hurricane supply is instant coffee.) At least the temperature has dropped, so the highs are "only" in the upper 80s. (Fahrenheit, this IS America. We don't believe in Commie temperatures.)

Add to the fun the fact that we've had roofers working on the roof for over a month. I hope that we still have a roof on Monday.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hey, Fred, I hope that everything goes well, to you and to your family. And that all be bypassed in the best possible way.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, Fred, and for everyone else in the storm's path. It looks like our area (halfway up the GA/SC border) will be getting heavy rains from the storm, especially this weekend.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Take care Fred. Hope your trip goes as planned and the storm fizzles out.
Look forward to seeing you on the flip side.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your inlaws Fred and hope you weather out the storm OK.

The word you were looking for was " interment " btw. Two R's with UK spelling.

Gary :(

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The word you were looking for was " interment
Strange language is "English" with some tricky words.
Reminds me of a story my wife told me long ago. She was a young typist in 70's copy typing a legal letter from her boss about probate. My wife being resourceful as she was corrected her boss's spelling of the word intestate. She typed interstate instead.
She had to re-type it and was soon to learn that the person was local and did not die interstate lol. The person died intestate (without a will) lol.

Reaction score
Strange language is "English" with some tricky words.
Ray, your post reminded me of an email I received this year from our local SANFL football club, of which I'm a member.

In a big headline, the club was delighted to announce that their senior coach had "resigned". I felt it was a bit rude to be so celebratory about the whole thing until I started reading the article and realised that the reason for their big announcement was that he had "re-signed".

Those pesky hyphens get you every time!

Hope Fred and family are OK.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
It seems that little by little things are settling in time. Coming soon: Fred Coulter

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I can blame the error on English being my second language. (Unfortunately, I learned it when I was six, so as an excuse it really doesn't fly all that well.)

Back in Florida. Lots of debris, but no damage to the house.

I think.

We have no electricity, so we can't really see everything. Also, the roofers were half way through the job. I don't think there was damage, but it's hard to tell.

I really hate cold showers.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad there's no obvious damage to the house. I hope there's no hidden damage, and that you get electricity back soon.

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're back home and that there is no apparent damage. I hope you get electricity back soon! Will you have to wait long for the roofing work to be finished? I imagine roofers must be very much in demand right now!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Glad you're home safely. Don't sweat the word. It's not really a common everyday word.

Most people in fact get it wrong.

Gary ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matiSon

Latest Threads