Windows 7 or vista..?

Reaction score
Hi to all
I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?

Reaction score
Definitely Windows 7, though if you're planning on using audio hardware with your computer, you'll want to make sure your manufacturers have drivers available. Vista was a colossal failure for a large number of reasons.

Reaction score
Definitely Windows 7, though if you're planning on using audio hardware with your computer, you'll want to make sure your manufacturers have drivers available. Vista was a colossal failure for a large number of reasons.
I'll second Windows 7, but I have to admit that I am still working on migrating all my music apps/hardware to it.

Reaction score
Win7 ofcourse. You can go with Vista if your laptop has 6-8Gb of RAM :)

Anything less makes Vista die in agony - so better stay away from it.

Reaction score
Alot of my hardware and software are not compatible with win7 and I don't see myself buying any new stuff just so I can get the latest OS. Since this PC is mainly used as my DAW and XP being very stable with all my gear I'll never change over. ;)

Of course I did install it (win7) in my netbook and use it on my one man gigs and have no problems with it. :)

jen

Reaction score
I have windows 7, if you buy from a shop I doubt you'll get a vista. I don't see anything wrong with it. The only trouble is if you play games or use other software they may not be compatable.
Why not just get the latest and enjoy it

The Y_man

Reaction score
As a general rule, we have found every second release of Windows OS has been bad. XP was/is a great OS - very stable, and very mature (still being used in many companies despite Microsfot trying to officially declare end of support). Vista on the other hand was just plain bad.... :( Win 7 is looking very promising, and everything Vista should have been - stable, memory efficient, fast etc. We're liking it a lot, and have had no trouble running it on P4 machines with 2GB RAM (sorry for the IT lingo - just means we're running Win 7 on computers over 6 years old that were built for XP)

The Y-man

Reaction score
XP!! If you need musicprograms to run. Everything to do with music, daws, midiplayers/editors etc etc is working without a problem. Even an old program like XGWorks (but still used by many) and made for Windows 98 runs smoothly.:)

Reaction score
I've been using XP as a general rule, but have become open to use Windows 7. I have a 64-bit computer, use cubase 5, a bucket of vst's and Echo Audiofire 4 interface for keyboard recording, presonus fireproject 1010 for drum recording. All is going swimmingly, and no problems whatsoever with drivers or compatability.

Reaction score

Windows 7 gets you around your PC faster than ever. Thetaskbar has bigger buttons and full-sized previews—and you can pin programs to it for one-click access. Jump Lists provide shortcuts to files, folders, and websites. And Snap, Peek, and Shake give you easy (and fun) new ways to juggle all those open windows.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Win7. I haven't dabbled in Win8, but several of my IT peers claim that it's great. Before switching my DAW over to a new OS, I want to be damn sure that I'm not going to have problems. I'm in no hurry to be the guinea pig early adopter. ;)

Reaction score
Hi there, I am probably going to get flamed for this but here goes
If you are going to get a "NEW" laptop you are most likely going to be offered WIN7
Vista is possible and will be generally cheaper as it is older and less popular
XP will not be available on a new laptop today. If it is then ask why!
The cost of your OS is likely to be cheaper with the purchase of a new Laptop than as a purchase on it's own.
A big part of the answer lies in what do you want to do with it and do you have any budgetary restraints.
When you can answer this you will get a clearer idea of what to go for.
If you can give us a clue of what you want to do with it we can probably help more!
Hope this helps
Barry

Reaction score
Ya'll keep in mind that that this is a zombie thread. Check the age on the first posts. I doubt that anyone is considering Vista at this time.

Reaction score
I think win7 is better. more fast. until now i have no problem using win7.

But if you want old OS winXP is good. don't using vista, so many problem.

Ask a Question