Windows & drivers for SC 8820

Reaction score
I read in another part of this forum of someone who got the Vista 64bit version of the Roland SC 8820 drivers working in Windows 7. Nothing I can do makes a difference. There is no compatibility tab for the driver setup file and I always get the message about the operatiing system being incorrect. Does anyone here know how to get around this problem? Roland has apparently dropped support for this wonderful, slightly old, sound module.

Thanks,Phil

Reaction score
I'm also considering the possibility of an add-in card with MIDI interface that would allow me to hook up my SC 8820. Of course it would have to be PCI-E since that is what my MB uses. I suspect there may be USB based ones also, but then again there may be driver issues.
So, does anyone know of any such thing. My own searches seem to take me too far afield and not getting anywhere fast. I'm really hoping not to have to dual-boot XP and Windows 7 in order to use my MIDI.

Thanks,
Phil

Reaction score
Windows 7 and the Sc8820 - Compatibility

I read in another part of this forum of someone who got the Vista 64bit version of the Roland SC 8820 drivers working in Windows 7. Nothing I can do makes a difference. There is no compatibility tab for the driver setup file and I always get the message about the operatiing system being incorrect. Does anyone here know how to get around this problem? Roland has apparently dropped support for this wonderful, slightly old, sound module.

Thanks,Phil

I have just purchased a SC8820 and linked it to my Home PC ( XP ) and my new Laptop / Windows 7. I took the old XP Drivers Program ( and clicked the Mouse on the Setup File - then I went to the Compatibiblty Section and set it to work with XP / 2000 ) - It then loaded without a problem and is now working - to my delite )

Reaction score
Windows Driver SC 8820

Hi All ....
I have install WIN 7 64Bit OS .. I got the SC-8820 driver install by using the Vista64Bit downloaded version from Roland web site
Instead of running the setup file go to the device and update the driver from their.
Select the scan drivers from my computer and point it to the unzipped files
It will load the driver and recognise the SC-8820 device
I have connected it to Sonar Cakewalk without a problem

I hope this helps :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Just tried making SC-8820 work on my Windows 7 (home premium SP1) laptop. Downloaded Vista 64-bit driver from Roland. Extracted from zipfile, clicked on SETUP - said incompatible, so clicked on incompatibility troubleshooter and told it that it had worked on Vista - saved that and it installed fine. SC-8820 working fine.

Reaction score
Just tried making SC-8820 work on my Windows 7 (home premium SP1) laptop. Downloaded Vista 64-bit driver from Roland. Extracted from zipfile, clicked on SETUP - said incompatible, so clicked on incompatibility troubleshooter and told it that it had worked on Vista - saved that and it installed fine. SC-8820 working fine.

It work Windows 10 . but can not output "Roland SC-8820 MIDI OUT" but goto "Part A" or "Part B" ....

Reaction score
My SC8820 sadly is starting to fail. The USB has not worked on it for years now and I'm now having to power it off and on again to even make it work with the MIDI input. I'm using a Roland UM one to adapt from USB on the computer to the MIDI input on the SC8820. No doubt that is why I never could get the drivers to install, even in compatibility mode. The drivers just didn't see the unit at all. Anyway, thanks for posting about getting it working on Win 10.

Ask a Question