Wireless broadband internet

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Which is better cable or wireless for home internet.
Seems like we have two options here in Aus.
I have been on cable for manyyears and now my ISP recommends I change to wireless using the 4G phone network instead.
They tell me it is faster, cheaper and more secure.
Yes? No?
Pros and Cons anyone?
Btw. I don't use landline any more. Just two users, wife and I. We have mobiles, smart TV, PC and tablet.
Ray

Reaction score
I have been on mobile Internet (4G, LTE) since July, 2017. I'm using a mifi instead of a cable modem. (I actually use a Netgear mifi in a matching dock.)
I have gladly given up "conventional" television, but I spend quite some time on YouTube using several "smart TV" devices.
I cut the cable on two grounds: not wanting to pay for content I'm not interested in, and being able to take my Internet with me on boat trips. (I was involved in two museum ships, then.)

I'm not sure if my devices want to pass on the full 4K of many channels, but they look great on a 42" (or whatever) 4K screen. Moreover, I have recently started using a Blu-ray player than can "upscale" to 4K.
Anyway, I seldom feel the wish (let alone need) for a faster connection.

There is an annoyance I'm having: my Unlimited subscription work as a daily free 10GB with free 2GB "free purchases". So I must be alert for that, especially at operating-system upgrades of computers and updating off-line maps.

However, I (single) can't compare Melbourne and Amsterdam, the subscription fees, nor your (two's) wishes.

On security: I have noticed that my IP-addresses change, and that they may be associated with locations 100km away.

Reaction score
Which is better cable or wireless for home internet.
Seems like we have two options here in Aus.
I have been on cable for manyyears and now my ISP recommends I change to wireless using the 4G phone network instead.
They tell me it is faster, cheaper and more secure.
Yes? No?
Pros and Cons anyone?
Btw. I don't use landline any more. Just two users, wife and I. We have mobiles, smart TV, PC and tablet.
Ray

Hey mate,

When I lived in Sydney I had cable internet. It was awesome and super reliable.

Since leaving there in 2009 I’ve never been able to access cable and have had to use wireless. I’d go back to cable in a heartbeat if I could.

Could be different in Melbourne though?

Reaction score
Cable all day long.

I have a 1 Gig system and it is blisteringly fast, in fact far faster than I actually need but it was part of a package including landline, mobile SIM and TV.

4G is fastish but to compete with a cable or wired system then you would really need 5G.

Our home 4G reception is flaky despite two masts being within 1/2 a mile one of which is my mobile system’s.

Here in the UK our main landline provider is BT and the leading mobile provider is EE and the two have teamed up to give a mobile based system that also uses mobile over WiFi.

There are also two WiFi frequencies on my new system 2.4 and 5GHz the latter is not recognised by some devices and the Ring video doorbell that we had needed yo be bumped as it would not function under our new WiFi Hub/router.

Do checkout WiFi coverage and if boosters or a mesh system would be required under any new system.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're only as secure as where or how you surf.

Removing cable can eliminate one vector of attack, but any new technology brings new risks.

My advice is "flip a coin."

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen!
The ISP salesman is pressuring me to change. I smell a rat. (sorry Gary lol).
I shall stay with cable. I will tell that dude to bugger off!
Ray

Ask a Question