Wrists hurt?

Reaction score
There could be two reasons:
a) Often beginners play to much so the wrists are overexerted.
b) You have a wrong handposition when you play.
This is the reason why I told you to take lessons to avoid such faults.:p

Reaction score
This happens to me when I play fast for a long time or if I play octaves with my left hand for a long time because it remains stretched in the same way for too long. For me I just solve it by taking a short break... I think if I practiced more often the problem would be less frequent, at least I hope so ^^

Reaction score
Your hands are probably higher than your arms, i.e. you are playing incorrectly. When you play your wrists should be straight, not bent backwards and the wrists should be loose, not locked or tight. My piano teacher would stress this at every lesson. Also, your fingers should be bent, not straight which means your wrists need to be higher than (above) the keys.

Reaction score
One way you can decrease pain that I've used is to take breaks and vary your practicing. I personally take a 5 min break every 20 min of practice, period. It gives my hands a chance to breath and relax. Also, vary what you practice if you can, if that makes sense. For example, I used to basically do all my scales straight in a row for like 30 min, but that gave me pain so I do something different: 10 min of scales then 10 of sightreading or Real Book playing and then a break, then repeat.You use different muscles for scales/arpeggios than for normal playing, so by doing it this way you can pretty much rest your scale playing muscles while still practicing something else. That might help, I know it's helped me.

Reaction score
I got a lot of hand and wrist pain when I was playing a keyboard that has "synth action" and using that keyboard to play piano and e.p. voices. I tend to play a bit little heavy and expressively. My fingers had no travel room with the keys and they just ended up constantly pounding the board. I finally upgraded to a keyboard with semi-weighted keys and it helped so much.
Taking breaks is a good idea too.

Reaction score
Is your body very close to the keyboard? Some people, when they begin playing , sit so near to the keyboard that it doesn't allow a good and free arm movement...and so you bend your wrists in this fonky not good position! Here's some nice stretches you can do:

Ask a Question