XGlite Voices on Yamaha PSR S500

Reaction score
Hi friends :),
I am Venkatesh from India. It's very nice meeting you all at this forum. Recently I bought a workstation - Yamaha PSR S500. Though it has been replaced by PSR S550B , the older version is still available in India.
I love this machine and its sound quality is simply awesome.

There are around 300 panel voices in PSR S500 and about 361 XGLite voices. I am able to use the panel voices. But I am unable to find where these XGlite voices exist? In the manual they mentioned the names of the voices but i could neither find the names nor use the voices in the keyboard.

Could any of you have an idea of where can I access these XGlite voices in this keyboard? I appreciate all your help on this.

Have a musical day. Good wishes to all. Yours .. Venky.

Reaction score
I think you'll find them in voices. Trying digging through the various voice categories first. If you don't see a separate XGLite category, try looking toward the end of the appropriate category list for a given voice.

Update: What do you know, Sargas answered your question in another thread. Never mind. :D

Reaction score
XGlite voices

Hey guys till now I did not get a correct solution to my problem. Where can I get the XGlite voices on my PSR S500 workstation?

Till now no one has given me the correct answer. I am still unable to find
where can I find those 361 XGlite voices in my PSR S500 keyboard.

Some members told that I can find them on the categories list but I did not find any XGlite voices (after the panel voices) in the categories.

Please help me guys. Thanks for your time.
:)

Reaction score
:confused: They should be available via voice selection. The owner's manual shows how starting on page 17. The list of all voices begins on page 98, with the XGlite voices starting on page 101.

Reaction score
XGlite voices

Hi Thompson, I really appreciate your help on my thread.
But here is my point.

What you have mentioned about the user manual is about using the panel voices. Yes, you are right. Page 17 tells us how to access the panel voices. But I am asking about the XGlite voices. XGlite voices are about 361 in number. If you count all the voices on the panel ( voices that are present in all the category buttons ) they are around 280 voices in total. Then what about the 361 XGlite voices that Yamaha has mentioned in its manual? I want to access those XGlite voices. I hope you got my point now. Please let me know if you have any idea on that.

Once again thank you for all your patience Thompson :)

Reaction score
I'm headed to a Guitar Center after work this afternoon anyway, so if they've got an S500 handy I'll take a look. I don't remember it being that hard to find the XGlite voices on other models, but maybe there's an undocumented gotcha on the S500.

Reaction score
XGlite Voices

Hi Thompson,
Thank you so much for your help. Yes, correctly said.. they did not document it in the manual. Before you go I would like to update you on this PSR S500. This is an old model. PSR S500 has been replaced by PSR S550. I am sure you can find PSR S550 in the Guitar Centre. It is just the same as S500 with some additional voices and features. So please look at it and let me know how to access those XGlite voices. Thanks my friend. Have a great weekend.:)

Reaction score
Well, Venkatesh, I struck out. GC didn't have any S5xx series keyboards available. :(

You have probably tried this already, but have you gone through all the voices on the keyboard?

It seems odd that Yamaha would have included voices you can't access directly from the keyboard itself.

Other than that bit of disappointing news, I hope you're enjoying your keyboard and have a great weekend yourself.

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way to access XGLite voices specifically as XGLite voices. Do this: go to your piano category and tell me how many different sounds are in that category. The PSR S500 manual lists only 10 piano voices plus a number of XGLite voices, so if the piano category has more than 10 voices in it (I suspect it will), then it will contain the XGLite voices. Look specifically for a voice called Grand Piano.

I'm almost certain that this is what Yamaha has done. Think about it: how useful will it be for you to have over half the voices on your keyboard accessed in a category called "XGLite"? You'd want those voices to be in proper categories (Piano, Synth, Strings, etc.).

Basically, you should just be using the keyboard normally and not really care about whether a voice is XGLite or not. All that matters is how it sounds.

Reaction score
Hi Kanthos,:)
Thank you for your time.
Let me repeat my answer .. Yes .. there are no additional voices in the categories other than that are mentioned in the manual under the head Panel voice list. For example.. if you take Piano category as you said.. there are only 10 voices present in the instrument under the button Piano.
But what about the remaining Piano voices that are present in the XGlite voice list which is mentioned in the manual.

I am really upset with this issue. Yamaha should have clearly documented how to access those 361 XGlite voices. How can they ignore it ? Very disappointing to hang around on an issue like this for a long time. No solutions so far.

Once again thanks a lot for all your help.
Let me wait for the day where I can get some solution to my problem and eagerly waiting to play those 361 XGlite voices on my PSR S500. :)

Reaction score
Venkatesh, I did some more web searching, using a variety of search terms, and I could not find a single reference matching the problem you are having. Perhaps you have a faulty keyboard? Is there any way you can get another one to try, and maybe to replace the one you have?

Reaction score
Thompson, my friend.
I really appreciate all your time and help that has been extended on this thread. Me too tried a lot on all over the net but no use. As you suggested, let me check with the dealer whether there is any problem with the instrument itself.
Once again thank you so much for all your help and patience....:) Venky.:)

Reaction score
Is it possible that the XGLite voices aren't categorized? Maybe start at the "beginning" of the sounds (Bank A, sound 0, or whatever it happens to be on your keyboard) and move through the songs in order to see how many there are?

Reaction score
Hi Kanthos,
I have tried every possible way :)
But no use. I have combed my keyboard for the XGlite voices. But No use :mad:

Reaction score
Venky, I though of something else you could try. Do you have any DAW software installed? IDK what you've got for a computer, but if you are running Windows snag a demo copy of ACID Music Studio. (I'm not necessarily advocating anyone use this on a permanent basis, but I found a copy on the cheap, and it's good enough for me. For now....)

Anyway, I was just playing around with Music Studio and my M50, and I noticed the program provides the option to specify which voice the keyboard should play by numbers. This is done by adding a MIDI track, specifying your keyboard as the output device, and then specifying MIDI program, MSB, and LSB values. (Actually, the values appear to be in reverse order from what the tooltip says--LSB, MSB, program.)

Anyway, you might be able to trigger XGlite voices this way. If you can't trigger them from outside the keyboard, there is DEFINITELY something wrong with your keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
XGlite voices

Hi Thompson,:)
Thank you so much for the tip. Let me try this option.
Have a wonderful day. ... Venky.:)

Reaction score
Hi Sargos/ Kanthos and Thompson :) :) :) ,

Till now .. I literally drilled all your brains to tell me where can I find the XGlite voices on my PSR S500 keyboard. You guys really spent lot of time to through some light on my thread. I really appreciate all your help.

At last I could able to find the XGlite voices on S500. Here is how :
Press Piano category button. Then look at the screen.:rolleyes: You will find XG on the left top corner :) Select that and you can find the entire list of 361 XGlite voices. Yaaaahooooo !!!!. Some sounds are pretty cool. But most of them are redundant. No worries.. I am enjoying playing my keyboard. :cool:

Have a wonderful time. .. Venky.

Reaction score
Hi Venkatesh,

It's Benny from Tamilnadu, India. Thanks for your post, Me too facing the same problem with my PSR S500. :)

Reaction score
To be able to access the XG lite voices, you need to keep toggling the category button(UP and DOWN). After the Synth category , you have the XG liteVoices.

Glad to know you are enjoying the Keyboard !!!!

Ask a Question