XK-1 and CC#11 messages

Reaction score
Hi!

I've had my Hammond for years, among other set ups, I have my Yamaha Motif ES as the controller to the Hammond. In times past, the volume pedal on the Motif directly affected the Hammond. But no more. Could this message in the Hammond be corrupted in someway? I've tried a factory reboot...which I HATED DOING. I've also tried it on my Kronos. Neither seem to work.

Please help meeeeeeeee!!!!! :(

Reaction score
I have an XM2 which is an XK1 in a rackmount so I am familiar with the setup. I control my XM2 expression (CC#11) via another keyboard through MIDI like you control the XK1 through a Motif.

On page 59 of the XK1 owners manual, in order to control the XK1 expression via MIDI the XK1 needs to have a configuration setting of "expression source" set to "midi in". The sending keyboard must then send CC#11 on the upper channel that the XK1 is set to.

Also you should check the midi channel assignments. Page 84 in the XK1 manual tells you how to set the 3 consecutive midi channels. Assuming the upper channel is set to 1, be sure that the Motif is sending CC#11 out on midi channel 1.

If the above two settings are correct then you should be receiving expression via the motif to the XK1. If not, switch out the midi cable, it could be bad. I had one that recently went bad. Once replaced everything started working again.

If you need a copy of the owners manual google "XK1 owners manual" and there is a pdf that is available from the hammond site for free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have an XM2 which is an XK1 in a rackmount so I am familiar with the setup. I control my XM2 expression (CC#11) via another keyboard through MIDI like you control the XK1 through a Motif.

On page 59 of the XK1 owners manual, in order to control the XK1 expression via MIDI the XK1 needs to have a configuration setting of "expression source" set to "midi in". The sending keyboard must then send CC#11 on the upper channel that the XK1 is set to.

Also you should check the midi channel assignments. Page 84 in the XK1 manual tells you how to set the 3 consecutive midi channels. Assuming the upper channel is set to 1, be sure that the Motif is sending CC#11 out on midi channel 1.

If the above two settings are correct then you should be receiving expression via the motif to the XK1. If not, switch out the midi cable, it could be bad. I had one that recently went bad. Once replaced everything started working again.

If you need a copy of the owners manual google "XK1 owners manual" and there is a pdf that is available from the hammond site for free.
Thanks !!

Ask a Question